Krib fry, How long to seperate from mother?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but was a member of a different one years. I was really impressed by the number of threads and how everyone helps each other out. I've had aquariums since I was a kid but now I have a breeding pair of kribensis. Theres 28 fry about 3 weeks old now. I took the male out a few weeks ago. All fry are healthy but was wondering how long should I keep the mother with the babies? I never breed kribs before but had breed cories and they were simple to keep up.

Any info would be appreciated! any how I posted a video of them on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6fl9wy7WTw

Charlie Greiner

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
Kribs are easier than corys. Once the fry are free swimming mom can be removed. Feed lots of small feedings of BBS, do regular water changes and all will be fine.

Charlie

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Kribs are easier than corys. Once the fry are free swimming mom can be removed. Feed lots of small feedings of BBS, do regular water changes and all will be fine.

Charlie

yep nothing else to it good luck!!!!

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
thanks everyone for the quick replies. They are much easier to feed with their mother keeping them in groups. If I put her back in the community tank will they still stay in a group? Also anyone here in the tallahassee area? I'd like to give some away or trade one day along with my 40+ cories. thanks again All!

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
updated pics of krib fry

just wanted to post of pic of my krib fry. fry are 3-4wks old I think. I took the mother out a few days ago and now they're lost. They're swimming all over the tank now and barely staying in groups. They sure are fast zipping back and forth. But they're all still healthy and the mother is blump again so I put her in my breeding tank with the male krib. They're getting along and are all colored up already. :idea:

DSC_0116 - Copy.JPG DSC_0129 - Copy.JPG DSC_0150 - Copy.JPG

Charlie Greiner

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
They look great. I would not be concerned about the scattering. The parents keep them together, I guess, so they can guard them easier. Since you have no predators with them, it is not an issue. Keep up the good work.

Charlie

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
thanks charlie, I guess I was worried that they swam around so much like something was wrong. But I guess they never swam around because they were always on lockdown by the mother. But yea they seem happier now and really are swimming all over the place.

Charlie Greiner

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
You are quite welcome. I try to help when I can. I have been keeping fish since the 1950's and bred kribs back then. I would much rather see questions like yours than those wondering why fish die when obvious lack of care and lack of desire to find out what that care is. IMO, far too many people want to have a gorgeous tank to show off to their friends but are unwilling to make the effort to keep it correctly. My present tank is in my office where all my clients get to see it. I HAVE to keep it right.

Charlie

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
To be honest I never really worried about a super gorgeous tank, I just wanted my fish to be healthy and to take care of them right. I perfer to spend my money on filtration and tank equipment than plants and decorations. Whats the largest krib spawn you've had? I think my krib pair is about to spawn again.

DSC_0185 - Copy.JPG DSC_0159 (2) - Copy.JPG DSC_0160 (2) - Copy.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store