180 gallon tank; Banding on top and bottom falling apart

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vietmanx

AC Members
Jul 31, 2008
Timbuctoo
i have a 180 gallon and the banding on top and bottom is a bit old and crusty and brittle. is there a way to fix this? do i need to fix it? what abot resealing leaks, do i just but some silicone and replace the old?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You should try to relocate a new frame for it. As for re-sealing, you will need to scrape off all the interior sealant, then re-seal.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
i dont know if they sell this where you are but there is this stuff called jb weld that i use all the time its a two part epoxy that is killer hard when it sets

i would use jb weld on the corners of the frame and then paint the jb weld down the sides to cover the black plastic will take some time to set up so you would need the tank empty to do this but once the stuff sets its very hard would more than likely hold the frame for all time

i use jb weld to lock my hoses in place on my filters so that there is never a way that it will come out if i need to replace the hose i only lose the connector and some hose so only a few bucks but total piece of mind as to the seal

brcacti

AC Members
Apr 13, 2008
Glasscages.com sells thin plastic framing, contact them wrap around the corners and wrap with fiberglass tape 10 times around then paint, your frame will be very strong.

vietmanx

AC Members
Jul 31, 2008
Timbuctoo
what holds the tank together more the silicone/sealant or the frame? cuz my 180 frame is flimsy plastic and holding on by a thread, providing no structural support.

so i would just buy aquarium silicone, cut off all old silicone that is accessable, and apply new silicone? that seems too easy

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
what holds the tank together more the silicone/sealant or the frame? cuz my 180 frame is flimsy plastic and holding on by a thread, providing no structural support.

so i would just buy aquarium silicone, cut off all old silicone that is accessable, and apply new silicone? that seems too easy
The silicone holds the tank together.
Yes it is easy to reseal a tank.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154235

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store