Is this too many creatures for a 30 gal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SunnyX

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Well I check my water every 2 days. These are my current readings-
P.h.- 8.2
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate-20 ppm
Ammonia-0.25 ppm

In my tank I have -

10 pounds of live rock
1 Queen angel fish
1 Lemon damsel
1 Fridmani
2 hermit crabs
2 fire snails
1 Cleaner Shrimp

I am planning on purchasing 4 more hermit crabs and 2 more snails.

What do you guys think?

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
yeah, that queen angelfish is going to reach at least 15". unless you're planning to upgrade to a 180+ i'd get rid of him right about now. that's possibly why you have some ammonia present in the tank, unless you're using a hagen test kit, which always seems to turn up with some unionized ammonia. how long has the tank been set up?

but the other fish are ok in the tank. if you add anything else, make sure they are semi-agressive to deal with the Psuedo.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Originally posted by SunnyX
Nitrate-20 ppm
Ammonia-0.25 ppm
I agree with the others here..find a new home for that angel..also, your water needs attending to....any ammonia present is a very bad sign, is this tank new?..do some water changes and cut the feedings in half until this clears up...and I wouldnt add anything else to this tank.

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
No. For an angelfish that regularly reaches a foot and a half, you need at least a 6' tank that is 18" from front to back. That means a minimum of a 180g. A 55g isn't even in the ballpark.

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
nothing under a 180 gal tank will be good for a queen angel in the long run. you can do a lot more with a 55 that can live in the tank for their whole lives.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
pygmy/dwarf angels(coral beauty, flame angel)....get rid of the Queen, unless you plan on buying that 180-200 gal tank a year or two down the road.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store