My first 29gal Fowlr

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I've had this a fw tank for about 4 years and finally decided to take the plunge into sw. I have 40lbs of live sand and 33lbs of cured fiji live rock(only $2.99lb at my LFS:headbang2:) and 3 green chromis to cycle the tank.

For filtration I have a penguin 150, seaclone 100 protien skimmer(I've heard lots of bad things about thses but so far it's working fine for me), cascade 500 canister, and a koralia 2. Should I add another koralia at the opposite end of the tank??

I need some help with my stocking list if you guys dont mind. I plan on adding a pair of percula clowns and I dont know what else from there, I want something that screams out saltwater.

Onto the pics
Before I added the second batch of LR

How the tank looks as of today

One of the Green Chromis

Is this a spaghetti worm?

I'm guees this is a sponge?

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Found some new critters on the LR in the middle (the darkest one of the bunch) this rock has the most creatures on it then any other rock is there a possibilty it is uncured?? The LFS said they're rock is cured but maybe they just got this one in?? It didn't have any funky smells.

Heres some more pics
Yay! A feather duster I think

Can someone I.D. this worm?

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Nevermind I believe it's a fireworm. And yes I'm an overexcited newb that sits in front of his tank for hours with camera in hand taking pictures of anything that moves. So expect tons of pictures:grinyes:

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks heres another for you guys.
I saw a small blue what looked to be two legged star fish on a piece of LR but I wasn't sure since it was in the back of the tank so I fiured I'd turn off the light and take a shower and check on it when I get back this is what I come back to find.

Some how this thing stretched a good 3-4" and attatched itself to the glass, it was in the back of the tank so I had a hard time getting a shot and there was little light causing the picture to be so unclear. This was the only pic I got before it retracted(sp) back into it's hole where the rest of it was. It was blue in color, and semi transparent when stretched. I circled the "worm" and you can see the reflection marked by the arrow.

SO anyone have any idea what this might be I typed in blue marine worm on google but came up with nothing.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The tentacles with be a spaghetti worm, yes....the red worm is not exactly a bristleworm, but a fireworm...can cause problems with corals...dont touch it, it will hurt... ;)

Looks like your off to a great start....look forward to the progress...

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Will the fireworm mess with soft corals?

Two of my green chromis went missing yesterday morning, they didn't come out to eat or anything, I figured they were just hiding/sleeping in the rocks. This morning still MIA so when I got home from work I started moving the rock and found one pulled head first into a hole in the LR half eaten with some kind of mucus membrane(could just be fungus from decomposing?) covering the whole body. I cant find the other missing one it's just gone. So now I'm only down to one:(

Now is there something that could have preyed on these guys(they're only half an inch), I noticed one was sleeping in the "crime scene" the night before. None of them showed any wierd behavior or anything and my water parameters were all at 0 (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, ph is at 7.8) and temp. fluctuates between 78F and 81F but I only had the probe about an inch and a half in the water maybe too close to the light, I have since moved down

Thats another subject should I be showing some reading of at least ammonia?? I've had the chromis in there since last wed. (july 30th). I'm running charcoal in my penguin 150 filter cartridge and in my cascade 500 canister filter is that causing my ammonia not to rise?

Last edited:

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
The set up looks good...I like your rock. When I was cycling my tank I ran my wet/dry filter but that was it. I was told not to run the skimmer or any media in the canisters (they are only for running the occasional carbon, Phoslock, micron filter...). I also dosed the tank with ammonia to cycle it instead of fish. With the ammonia you can add it until you reach your desired level (I think I went to 4 or 5 ppm) and then let the bacteria do the rest.
Pics rock:headbang2:! I literally have several GB of digital pics that I have taken of my tank in the last year. Keep up with the updates!
Robbie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store