1st REAL planted tank (10g) log! (Picture heavy)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have had a couple plants in my last tank but it didn't last. I did keep some of the babies alive from it though to help start this tank! So this is my 1st actual planted tank. I started setting it up a few days ago so we are going to do a little catch-up here!

2 - 10 watt 6,500k... 5 hours on, 1.5 hours off & 5 hours on again

Sponge filter seeding in 36 BF (excuse the last remnants of the diatom bloom please :))

Eco-Complete added (whole bag, no point in wasting it)

A close up of the Eco-Complete if anyone is interested

Plate placed to deflect water, as to not disturb the gravel (my big plates wouldn't fit), sponge filter & some water added

All full & not that cloudy might I add!

Later added the Malaysian driftwood, the couple plants I was keeping alive (in a 1.7g hex tank) and my betta to keep the bacteria acquired from my 36g BF alive. Yeah it looked a lot cloudier when it got dark.

Next morning! Anubias Nana on the left & baby Java Ferns on the right, all off 1 mother plant who did not make it.

And that's where we are at now, just waiting! The plants are not arranged in any certain way, just put in there for now. I will be receiving some RCS, plants & MTS from Mgamer20o0 in a couple days and will update! The betta will be removed when the shrimp arrive and no other fish will be added until the shrimp are reproducing wildly then I may add the betta or another fish to keep a balance.

Plants being added...
2 - dwarf sag
1 - Tropica sword
Java moss (for a moss wall backdrop)

No ferts or CO2

Tell me what you guys think so far! Any suggestions or concerns? Do you think I should add a nutrient "hog" plant just for the beginning? Thanks for looking!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
have you thought about placing some of the ferns onto your driftwood?(I like the piece you chose, by the way) Ferns grow better attached to things rather than planted.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
looking good. Though you said the plants arnt arranged in any way I think they look fine where they are right now.

Not sure if theres a need for a nutrient hog plant right now since your lighting isnt that high and you arnt dosing any ferts so there wont be any excess nutrients in the tank..

I think some stem plants in the back right side would be nice. Perhaps some rotalas.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thank you everyone!

I have not decided yet about attaching the Java Ferns to the driftwood. 1) it would make them quite high once they start to grow & 2) I love that piece of wood! :)

I do plan to attach them to something because I know they do not like to be planted. When I threw them into the corner I thought how nice they would look in a little grouping rather then spread out. I may attached the Anubias to the driftwood though since it stays fairly short.

Yes I want some sort of stem plant in the back, just haven't decided what yet. I figure once I get the other plants in everything will come together nicely. I am not much of a decorator/aquascaper so this is a little challenging for me, which I quite enjoy!

Couple of pictures.

Seeing as my plants have been shipped I started the plastic mesh for the moss backdrop. You can see on the top one I have left the hanging loop thing, this is hopfully going to help hold it in place. Test seemed to work but we will see!

Closeup of how I attached the pieces to make them long enough. (Fishing line)

Just a slightly fuzzy picture of the tank still seeding from my other gravel & I also attached on HOB whisper 20-40 which was on the 36g BF. This picture doesn't really show how very amber the water is from the driftwood, I absolutely love it!!:grinyes:

Thank you everyone so your comments & suggestions!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thank you Cooler & SchizotypalVamp!

My next update will probably be on Monday when the plants & shrimp arrive.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Nice. I like the layout.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thank you 247Plants! More to come, more to come!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store