72 Bowfront Setup, Please Help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

solarbearusa

Registered Member
Aug 2, 2008
Hello All, I'm glad I found this forum. Could someone please help me out on my setup? I am wanting to setup a reef tank but starting out slow. Looking to go ahead and purchase reef necessary equipment (ie. lighting)now so we can start adding corals, etc later when we are ready. We would like to start out by doing a few fish and live rock and build on that. I have purchased a 72g bowfront, 70 lbs of live sand, instant ocean mix. I'm having a real tough time knowing what to buy for filteration. I understand that the LR is the biggest part of my biological filteration, but am stumped on what to do besides that. Everyone tells me something different. I was originally thinking about a canister underneath and protein skimmer hanging off the back, but have since changed my mind since the theme seems to be "Canister Bad for saltwater" I do not have near enough room underneath for a sump. Can someone please guide me on what a good setup would be for a 72g reef setup please? About 10 years ago I had a 55g setup with a regular old emporer bio wheel hang off that worked fairly well. Thought maybe that would work, but it has been so long and things seemed to have advanced since then. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store