Is it INhumane to keep bettas in a 1 gallon fish bowl?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Is it INhumane to keep bettas in a 1 gallon fish bowl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
I have a feeling that I will be in the minority on this. I think that if they live in small puddles in their native land then it's kinda what God intended.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
They only live in puddles during the dry season...

Impudence12

Broke Aquarist
Jul 3, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm going to say it's not inhumane, they'd be happier in a larger tank, but as long as the water is clean and there's swimming room I can't say it's inhumane.

Commodore 64

AC Members
Feb 26, 2008
Kent, Ohio
Just because they can live in puddles doesn't mean they prefer to live in puddles.

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
Just because they can live in puddles doesn't mean they prefer to live in puddles.
Really you could argue that about any fish. 10 gallon all the way up to any huge tank. Just because a fish can live in a fish tank doesn't mean they prefer to live in a fish tank.
If I were a fish I'd much rather live in a vast lake than a cramp old fish tank any day.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Klong

Paddy field

These are not small puddles.;)

http://betta.tasarin.net/aquarium.php
An important thing to know when housing a Betta Splendens is that most metals are lethal, and never should metal decorations be used unless they are marked for this purpose. Copper is especially dangerous. Nonetheless, to keep an individual B. splendens, a minimum tank size of 3 U.S. gallons at least is recommended, if it will be kept in a warm room. Decorations can provide hiding places, especially important when two males are housed in a divided tank, or when the betta is living in a community tank. Every decoration must be free of rough areas or sharp points which can damage the delicate fins of the betta. For this reason, silk rather than plastic plants are recommended. Live plants will improve the water quality. Also, since the betta obtains oxygen from the air, the tank must not be covered with an air-tight lid and the betta must be able to easily reach the surface. (Note that some bettas enjoy leaping out of tanks, so a breathable lid is highly recommended.) If the betta has no access to air, it will suffocate.

In Canada and the United States, the Betta is sometimes sold in a vase with a plant, with the erroneous claim that the fish can feed on the roots of the plant and that it can survive without changing the water. This is dangerous for the betta in two ways. First, the betta has a labyrinth organ which allows it to take in oxygen from the surface air, similar to the human lung. If the betta can not reach the surface of the water, which can be the case if a plant's roots are covering the surface, the betta will suffocate in a matter of hours. Secondly, Betta species are carnivorous and an appropriate food must be provided, such as dry "betta pellets" or live or frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp. However, most aquarium-bred specimens will accept dried flaked food suitable for tropical fish. When kept in a small container such as a vase, the fish need frequent water changes, and the container must be kept in a warm room. A larger tank with a heater will provide better living conditions. Wherever the fish is kept, water must be treated with an appropriate water conditioner before use.

There is a stereotype that in the wild, bettas live in tiny muddy pools, and therefore that it is acceptable to keep them in small tanks, but bowls are usually too small. In reality, bettas live in vast paddies, the puddle myth originating from the fact that during the dry season, the paddies can dry out into small patches of water. It is not a natural state of affairs by any means, and in the wild, fish trapped in such puddles are likely to die in a short period of time when they dry out.

To maximize the lifespan of the fish and ensure their well being, they should always be kept in appropriate sized tanks. As a rule of thumb, for each inch of fish there must be at least one gallon of water in its tank. Bettas idealy should be kept in a filtered tank 10 gallons or more and treated like any other freshwater tank fish. Although these conditions are ideal, with proper care and filtration a betta can be happily kept in a smaller tank. I, personally, keep my Betta in a tank holding 2 gallons of water and it is perfectly happy and healthy.

Other good links:
http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/pontian.htm

http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/Ayer_Hitam_last1.htm

http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/Thailand2.htm

I took the time to read in a book store last year and found this.

Information is taken from Labyrinth Fish: The Bubble Nest Builders written by Horst Link and published by Tetra in 1991.

"In my opinion, the natural distribution range is very much smaller than had been supposed until now and is, in fact, restricted to central, western, and northern Thailand...Betta splendens lives in paddy fields and associated ditches, in marshes and flooded grass pits and in the klongs (canals) of the residential parts of towns and villages. At different times of the year, they may be very numerous."

A very important advice...
The view that fighting fish often live in mudholes and therefore can be kept in such conditions is not really tenable. The fish will exhibit their full finery in a well-established, balanced aquarium and it is only under such conditions that their keeper will be able to appreciate their beauty at its best

Amante_di_Betta

Anubias Harlet
May 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for pointing me here. You sound like the owner of the petstore I applied for, and saw his lack of knowledge, and ruined the job..in bowls without filtration and proper water conditions, they are susceptible to amonia posioning. Most dont take care of bettas the proper way. ANd if were playing the God card, he put them in the wild for a reason ;)

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Really you could argue that about any fish. 10 gallon all the way up to any huge tank. Just because a fish can live in a fish tank doesn't mean they prefer to live in a fish tank.
If I were a fish I'd much rather live in a vast lake than a cramp old fish tank any day.
then why did you bother making a poll?

do some research.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
they don't really live in tiny puddles in nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store