MYSTERY SNAIL MALE OR FEMALE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i added a link above with images showing how to tell the difference. Good luck, they don't always like to cooperate.

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
that explains it!!! I saw the pic Female Pomacea bridgesii without the penis sheath. and noticed that yesterday and thought that was it's anal cavity, but ok so far I have

ahhh. who the hell knows! I quit! if I see eggs there is at least 1 male and 1 female! lol..

Thanks Msjinkzd!

Last edited:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Sure thing :) I still find that the easiest way to determine sex is to observe. The males are VERY sexually active.

catnipgal

Here Fishy Fishy
Jun 26, 2008
Chicago - Windy City, USA
Females lay eggs. I only have a female in the tank. Its my understanding if the eggs are fertilized, they look moldy or turn blue. Mine just stayed pink and nothing hatched. So I gather they were not fertilized. She just lays eggs.,

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
I had what I thought was a male and a female once who mated and laid eggs allll the time. I took care of the eggs as best I could going on internet advice but they never hatched! EVER! I always assumed the male was shooting blanks, or I had two females

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
The eggs are a pinkish color. About 24 hours before hatching they get a blueish white mold appearance to them, which is the eggs becoming thinner as they are about to hatch. They don't actually turn blue, its more of a moldy appearance. If the clutches are left where they are laid, its very very common for the outer eggs to dry out too much and prevent any of hte clutch from hatching. I incubate mine. Once I am on my feet again, I am going to do a post on my hatching method. There is one stickied at the top that can be used as well. Female bridgesii do lay eggs regardless of fertilization as part of their normal reproductive health.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store