help me! can it be saved? please say so!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
i am gone with my buddy for all of saturday. in that time frame, disaster happened. my baby sister (she's only 6) thought she should clean the fish tank so she took out my lava rock and ripped the anubias coffeefolias from off it!! i asker her why and she says she thought it was a weed!! my mom says nat was helping her out in the pond and my mom was pulling weeds off rocks. i can't really be mad at her; she didnt do it on purpose, but the plant was growing for two years on that rock. it was big, strong, and growing. it was my pride of the aquarium.

the destroyed plant was put in a garbage bag and into the trash can after the whole mess ended. i mean, ive saved parts of the stems and the leaves- they are kinda moist still. please, tell me what,if anything can be done to save the plant?
pics coming...

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
How long was it in the bag for?

If you really like the plant, then you could try to see if it will grow again, put it in your tank, but watch your levels closely... Could be decomposing while looking healthy.

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
my mom says it was in the bag for like 12 hours or so! i took the pieces out and am kind just keeping them moist. i put one piece in my tank to see how the plant would respond. so far its ok.

yea im kinda attached to the plant! i know its only a plant but it was so prettyon the rock.
i dont' know the exact terms so bear with me as i describe the pieces. there is a long branch where the roots of the plant had grown down to the rock. on this branch (i dont know what to call it) are the stems and leaves. now, the branch (rhizome maybe?) was ripped in four parts. three are 2" long and the third is six inches long. i mean, if im correct that the branch is the rhizome, then maybe what she did is uninteninally propagate the plant? most of the leaves and what's left of the huge root system are mostle intact on the 4 broken branches.

thanks and sorry for long post. i try to avoid those.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
Your anubias coffeefolias will be fine anubias is a bog plant so it can handle being out of water, as long as the leaves are still attached to the Rhizomes it will be fine re attach it and you will be fine.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I agree, if the rhizome (the branchy part) is intact (at least a few inches long) its likely it will recover. Anubias are VERY hardy and can tolerate more than they are given credit for. Give it a whirl, you have nothing to lose.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I can attest for the toughness of Anubias. I have had to remove mine from the tank and scrub algae off of it at one point. It is doing great now.
Give it a try, it should bounce back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store