Clown Fish Always On Surface?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Hey guys,
I've been pesting you guys with questions, but this hopefully will be the last one..
Well, my tank finished cycling and i added my first clownfish yesterday! The only thing is that the clownfish is always swimming on the surface of the water... and keeps peeking up... it kinda looks like its trying to "breath"..

any ideas?

Andrew225

A little bit of everything
Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
Amonia poisoning, possibly.
My first clownfish was doing that right before she died...monitor closely.

My other clownfish, my new one, does that (Bobbing up and down when i come near the tank) because she knows food is on the way...

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Usually that's a sign of ammonia poisoning or other bad water parameters -- what are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels reading with a good liquid test kit??

park83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2006
central PA
Mine do that too sometimes. Little orange sharks, they are. I think its just in anticipation of food...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It is hard to say. Clownfish, especially captive raised ones, can become quite tame. Above and beyond that, they are odd in their behaviors--including "peeking" upward. Maybe if you can post some parameters, that would help a bit. Also, doing a water change in the meantime won't hurt, either.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
my ammonia is 0.2-0.3, which i also mentioned on another post because it was 0 yesterday (at the end of the cycle) and i put in the clownfish n the ammonia rose up a little bit..
my nitrite is .3ppm
nitrate is <20...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
my ammonia is 0.2-0.3, which i also mentioned on another post because it was 0 yesterday (at the end of the cycle) and i put in the clownfish n the ammonia rose up a little bit..
my nitrite is .3ppm
nitrate is <20...
Get your bucket, pump, tubing and/or python ready. You need to keep those levels down and a water change is the best way to do it at this point.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
im doing a water change right after this post... my water temp is 26.4C, not sure how much that is exactly in F...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store