Ich - Salt and Cory cats

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
So I have managed to introduce ich to my tank, a few of the rummys have little white spots on their fins. I have pushed the temp in the tank up to 83F, and I know about adding salt, however I am not sure how much salt to add.

Also, I have peppered cory cats in the tank, and am not sure how they will do with the salt. Unfortunately I discovered my 10G QT tank is cracked (been sitting in storage) so I have to treat the main tank.

Inhabitants are 3 x angels, 8 x peppered cory cats and 11 rummy nose tetras. At the moment its only the tetras that are showing signs (and yup, its the ones I just recently bought, did not know that my QT was cracked before I got them).

Thanks.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
You need to dissolve the salt before adding it. I do a tablespoon per 5g although some members here try more than that.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Should I increase the temperature anymore than it already is?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Should I increase the temperature anymore than it already is?
The rummies can tolerate higher temperature but I doubt it with corydoras. Best to maximize the oxygen levels and keep temperature steady at 82-84 degrees.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
The rummies can tolerate higher temperature but I doubt it with corydoras. Best to maximize the oxygen levels and keep temperature steady at 82-84 degrees.
Thanks, I will start adding some of the salt now, add some more in the morning, and then some more when I get home from work to slowly bring it up to around 1tbps per 5G.

Hopefully I catch it early enough and don't lose any fish.

Just realized something, I currently only have Mortons Lite Salt........ is that OK? I can pick up some regular salt tomorrow, but want to start dosing the tank asap.

Last edited:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i am unsure what lite salt is? I have only used normal table salt. Do you know what makes it "lite"? any gas stations nearby, they usually sell salt.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Any salt is fine as long as it doesn't have iodine in it; just plain ol' salt. That's what I use.
This is a myth. Iodine is nothing to be concerned about. In fact, fish need iodine. Besides, there is very little chance of iodine overdose.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
i am unsure what lite salt is? I have only used normal table salt. Do you know what makes it "lite"? any gas stations nearby, they usually sell salt.
I think its just low sodium salt, not sure exactly though. I dosed some last night and then again this morning, will be heading out later today to pick up some regular table salt.

Keeping my fingers crossed, so far none of the angels or corys are showing any symptoms.

I thought of something this morning though, since the ick came in with the rummys, and they have been in there less than 48 hours, if I were to get a new QT tank today would it be safe to move them there? or (and I think I know the answer) is it already too late and I should treat the entire main tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store