My Pregnant goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Abhinav

AC Members
Aug 4, 2008
i hav a 3yr old pregnant goldfish full of eggs but she is not laying the eggs what could be the reason i hav a 2 yr old male goldfish too it chases it like hell and forces it 2 lay but it does not whyyy

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
She's not pregnant. The term has no meaning with egglaying fish. Just because she's carrying eggs does not mean she's going to breed. Human females are born with their ovaries full of eggs but that doesn't mean they're going to have babies any time soon, nor that they're in any sense already pregnant. It's similar with fish; they may swell with eggs but it's only one element of readiness to breed.

Abhinav

AC Members
Aug 4, 2008
but i have a male too and it chases the female and forces it 2 lay then y not?

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
Once again, like humans. A man could chase a woman, but that doesn't mean she's going to have to make a baby.

wow, that's awkward :grinyes:

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Exactly right - goldfish cannot become pregnant. She may be carrying eggs, but she has to release them before they can be fertilized. Sometimes fish won't breed because they are just not in the mood, but more often because there is no suitable place for breeding. Goldfish need plants or a spawning mop in the tank before they will release eggs. The male needs a soft plant or mop to push the female into so she can release them without being injured.

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Once again, like humans. A man could chase a woman, but that doesn't mean she's going to have to make a baby.

wow, that's awkward :grinyes:

hehehe totally.

well said ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store