35 gallons freshwater to marine.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lukielala

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
35 gallons...can i not use protein skimmer. Not planning to add corals. But

looking at fishes like clown fishes and some peace looking shrimps. Any

advise? Im new here and new to marine keeping so I would appreciate for

directions to researching sites. Oh and has anyone did a marine paludarium

before? And erm what if I dont add live rocks but have lime stones and

pagonda rocks. Will they turn into live rocks in the long run?

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
Just my opinion from experience.
You could get away with not having a skimmer, it would be better to have one but you can run a tank that size without one. A protein skimmer removes stuff from the water that would normally only be removed with water changes, so without a skimmer you need to do larger and more regular water changes (to keep water quality good) than if you had one. Without a skimmer you would probably have to do around 15% to 25% weekly water changes, with a good skimmer you could do a lot smaller changes. You would also have to keep the stocking down a bit if you didn't have a skimmer.

Liverock is your primary source of biological filtration, unless you want lots of filtration equipment, so it is best to start off with a decent amount of liverock. Pretty much any porous material (limestone, sandstone etc) will become liverock over time but you need that intitial liverock to seed it with beneficial organisms. Personally I think getting liverock and baserock (dead, dried out liverock) is the best option.

Clownfish are a good beginner fish, and keeping clowns and shrimp together is fine.

There are sticky's at the top of the newbie marine section, reading them is a good place to start for info.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
35 gallons...can i not use protein skimmer. Not planning to add corals. But

looking at fishes like clown fishes and some peace looking shrimps. Any

advise? Im new here and new to marine keeping so I would appreciate for

directions to researching sites. Oh and has anyone did a marine paludarium

before? And erm what if I dont add live rocks but have lime stones and

pagonda rocks. Will they turn into live rocks in the long run?

You could get away with a skimmer, certainly, however, if your new to marine keeping, i would recomend you do have one to aid in the stability of the tank..By all means, when the tank has matured and you understand your tank complety, then think about removing the skimmer...

Dont see any issues with the clowns and shrimp. Have a look over the shrimp on liveaquaria.com and see what you think you would like, then post here and everyone will give you an opinion on your choice for suitability and compatibility..

Not a paludarium, but a viv, on here was the closest thing i could fine...and the only one i know of...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136377

The rocks, i would not use and expect them to turn into live rock..If you want live rock, i would use the proper type of rock....Just my opinion of course...

lukielala

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
okay, the cycling part is basically similar to freshwater cycling just that ph

levels are higher, them ammonia, nitrite, ammonia have to be 0. Skimmer

would not really be a problem. Though Im not going to plunge into marine like

within this few years. I have national service to do. Gee. Anyways Im looking

at a comm of firefish, clownfish, golden neon goby, clown goby, skunk cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp,

peppermint shrimp, banded coral shrimp, and maybe some hermit crabs

or crabs. Oh the shrimps are going to be one each. and fishes maybe 1 to 2

each. What do you guys think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store