'brine shrimp for saltwater fish' ok for freshwater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RClarkofNC

AC Members
Sep 14, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Yesterday I bought some frozen brine shrimp that my LFS recommended for my tropical tank. However, when I got ready to feed some today, I noticed that the box says "for all saltwater fish". Doesn't say anything about being for freshwater fish. Would this be safe to feed or do I need to make the long trip back to the store? Here are the details:

San Francisco Bay Brand
Omega-3 Brine Shrimp (frozen)
"High in HUFAs"
"For all saltwater fish"
Ingredients:
Artemia franciscana (brine shrimp)
Emulsified menhaden oil
Astaxanthin

From their web site:
"An omega-3 formula is fed to live brine shrimp before freezing. By doing so, HUFA levels are enhanced to promote maturation and breeding, while increasing disease resistance. Especially excellent for saltwater and coldwater fish where these special Omegas are a must in the longevity of your fish."

(I'm hoping the part about "and coldwater fish" means it would be okay for my tropicals too.)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yes, brine shrimp is commonly used for feeding freshwater fish, as well, and is very good for them too.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I see no problem with using it. It has just been enriched with nutrients that saltwater fish require. I seriously doubt it could harm your freshies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store