White fish turning black

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
I have a white comet in a 220 gal pond it has been their for about 4 years now. But recently I have noticed that its scales appear to be turning black/deep purple starting from the underside of the fish. Sorry I cannot get a picture.
Ph is 7, Amm. 0 Nit. 0 nitr. negligable. the water temp is at the moment about 20 degrees. The pond is planted and filtered. Water is topped up weekly due to evaporation and a partial water change every 4 - 6 weeks, When I clean the filter pads. (yes I do use pond water to clean filterpads). Any ideas? Should I be worried? Oh it is not happening to any of the other white comets.

Thanks in advance.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
You might be looking at the beginning symptoms of dropsy, or it could be that the fish injured itself on something and is bruising.
Either way, I would remove the fish from the pond and isolate it. Dropsy has many causes and you don't want a virus or parasite spreading to your other fish. And if the fish is recovering from an injury, it's better to keep it quarantined and prevent bacterial infections from moving in while the fish is weak.
Best of luck.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
I have never had dropsy in my ponds before what does it look like as I have just netted another one of my fish in this pond a gold commet that looks like it is losing its scales is this the condition you are referring to and how do you treat it.

Many thanks

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
dropsy is a general term for a collection of symptoms that cause fluid to build up internally, producing swelling and bruising and eventually killing the fish. it has a variety of causes and can be anything from a virus, to poor water conditions, to parasites.

it sounds like you have larger problems in your pond than just one fish with black spots. it could be any number of things. can you give us more information - how large is the pond? how many fish? water parameters & water change schedule? type of filter?
that will help us determine the issue.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
These are my specs, 220 gal pond (give or take 10gal), Ph is 7, Amm. 0 Nit. 0 nitr. negligable. the water temp is at the moment about 20 degrees. The pond is planted and filtered. Water is topped up weekly due to evaporation and a partial water change every 4 - 6 weeks, When I clean the filter pads. (yes I do use pond water to clean filterpads). At the moment I have about 20 fish in this pond and will probably have to move some out in the spring as they will start breeding again every year is the same.

I went looking up Dropsy on the internet and I don't think that Dropsy is the problem the symptom don't seem to match as well as the white fish is turning white again and the orange commet is healing up nicely in the QT tank with daily water changes. I have problems with Kookaburra's trying to eat my fish every now and again so I am assuming after getting a closer look at the fish in QT tank that this was an unsuccessful attempt at trying to get a free feed. The pond is set up so that the birds have a hard time with plenty of hiding spots which makes trying to net fish equally as difficult. The only reason I succeeded in netting the Orange commet is that is was tangled up in one of the plants as well as being banged up a bit.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Well, you could be right that it is the kookaburras trying to catch the fish. That would explain the black spots on the white fish disappearing, and the scales on the orange fish healing up. The black spots were likely bruising from the fish banging on a rock or the kookaburra trying to grab him around the middle.
Your specs look good, so I'd just say that it's time you went to the hardware store and found some wire netting to put over the pond. :) Or you put in some plants that cover much of the surface, like lily pads, that will make life harder for the kookaburras and other predators.
Best of luck!

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
I do have the pond well planted but it is Winter over here and the Lotus lily's die off during Winter, and it is the only time I have problems with Kookuburra's I might have to get some plants that provide cover all year round. Thanks for the help.

Cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store