Low light plant question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
So does "low light" suggest that they can thrive in low light or does it mean they prefer low light?

The reason why I am asking is I want to plant my tank heavily with low light plants because I have low light right now. Then later I want to upgrade my lighting and add some bright light plants also. Once I change to better lighting will the low light plants still do well?

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
ALL plants will grow in high light.

Low light is as referred to as above. It will grow, usually slower than under high light and typically the plants take a different apperance i.e. longer length between nodes, bigger leaves etc..

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
Algae is not a concern. I have a 4ft UV filter. My 220 gallon tank is set up for 2 72" VHO Actinic [160 watts each]. I broke the bulbs when i moved the canopy and just don't have the money for 2 $50 bulbs right now.
I am using 3 T8 standard 24" dual bulb shop lights right now.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Algae can still grow even with a UV filter.

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
Algae can still grow even with a UV filter.
Yes, i know, but it will stop it from "taking over" and keep it well under control

they will usually grow well at higher wattages, but if the light is to high algea will take over.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the uv filter will only affect algae that is free floating..

btw the actinic lights won't help the plants ..you may need to find triphosphor lights if using vho..I finally got tired of the light (VHO) and moved it over to my marine tank(works much better there)

I purchased shop lights and found a PC light and changed bulbs to 10k and 6700k

the low light plants are doing fine in this set up (75 g w 4x65 watt)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store