Dwarf Gourami Has A lump/scales Missing On Side Of His Head

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fabsal

Registered Member
Aug 5, 2008
Male Dwarf Gourami has gap in scales on head, I think caused by the net when i moved him into my new tank (set up for a month now & cycled). theres just a few scales missing, but the gap looks a little bit more like a lump/spot/inflamed now. Its not red, Ive been looking through other posts & pictures & havent seen anything similar. Doesnt appear to be any fungus. Im thinking its either just healing up, or possiblly its got a bit infected & inflammed, so just want to make sure Im doing the rihgt thing before early on.
Otherwise he seems perfectly normal, eating fine.
Just wondering how long it takes for scales to grow back & what i should do to treat/prevent any infection that may take hold while injurgy is there.

Tank size:200L
pH:7.8
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:10
kH:
gH:
tank temp:26

Changed about 10% water 2 days ago & removed carbon before started adding meds. dosed with Azoo Magic Disease Treater. ive added the amount it says on pack yesterday & day before (says to add x amount /L every 24 huors for 1st 3 days)

Tank inhabitants: 5 neon tetras & 1 male & 1 female dwarf gourami

Il post a pic later if i can work out how.

Thanks for reading, i appreciate any comments/help
Thanks

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Sounds like it could be an injury, I'd just keep the water pristine (the parameters you have now are fine) and keep an eye on it and you should be ok if it's an injury. A pic would help though - if you click on 'reply' to your thread (not the quick reply) and then click the paperclip icon to 'manage attachments', you can upload pics from your computer and put them in your post. Or you can use the mountain icon if you are linking to a pic that's on a website.

If it doesn't get any better (but still looks like an injury) I'd consider dosing melafix to help the injury heal.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I am not familiar with the med you are using, but typically the cleaner the water the faster it will heal up. I agree a pic would be useful if possible for us to help you. In the mean time, keep up with water changes and monitor him for any signs of secondary infection.

fabsal

Registered Member
Aug 5, 2008
Photos, and i think its getting worse

OK, now Im home I think its got worse.
Ive taken photos, here they are.
Il keep checking the water perameters & use the AZOO magic disease treatment (http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2039). It says on the bottle that its for fungus, bacteria & ectoparasites.
I dont know what else to do, are there better treatments out there?
Really dont want this little one to get worse, I feel really guilty because Im sure it was me & the net that did the damage in the 1st place.
Hope you can help!
Many thanks
Sally

IMG_1208.JPG IMG_1199.JPG

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I had a gourami that did exactly the same thing and I haven't owned one since and I have heard of other people having their dwarf gouramis develop sores too. It kind of looks like an ulcer which you can treat with an antibacterial med (will destroy your biofilter so I would quarantine the fish) and some melafix to help aid in healing. I think you can add them together but I am not positive. Maybe someone else can chime in. Be careful because ulcers are also a sign of fish tuberculosis which is contagious and some strains can spread to humans. Is your fish eating?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store