Sick Mollies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
11 days ago my 10g had ich and I treated with heat and salt. The spots cleared up right away and all seemed well. I have not yet done a water change so the salt level has remained (2 tsp per gallon). I started to drop temp, on day 9, back down to 80. I had it turned down for about twenty four hours. Some of the mollies started to act sick - clamped fins, staying at the bottom, eating very little...
I decided to turn the temp back up for a bit longer (85degrees) after reading a post on ich.
One of the cremecicle mollies almost looks dusty... not sure if she is just pale or actually dusty? Has anyone ever seen this?:help:

Nitrites/amonia 0
Nitrates 10

Last edited:

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
any chance you can get a pic?
I took some photos this morning but can't find my cord to download. :(

Now that I am thinking abou it, I would describe the molly more as looking "chalky" rather than dusty.
Any ideas?

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
I researched velvet online and I don't think that is it. It is not individual speckles, and it seems to have originated on the top of the head and face. THe fish just looks very chalky. She is a cremecicle molly and I wondered if she is just very pale due to being sick or stressed. Two of the other sick mollies are dalmation and their coloring looks normal. They are just acting sick, not swimming around, not eating much, clamped fins, etc.

robbob2112

AC Members
Jul 10, 2008
Black Hawk, Colorado
NH3/4, NO2, NO3 readings? With elevated temps, more important than normal to keep that all under control. Also, less oxygen in the water so if you don't already have it you may want to add something to churn the surface more or a bubble bar.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
NH3/4, NO2, NO3 readings? With elevated temps, more important than normal to keep that all under control. Also, less oxygen in the water so if you don't already have it you may want to add something to churn the surface more or a bubble bar.
I am not sure what NO2, NO3 and NH3/4 mean, but if it s amonia, nitrite and nitrate, please see original post. All water perameters are good.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
is it funguslike?
Does not appear to be funguslike at all. Not even slightly fuzzy or thickish.

I just got home and the really chalky cremecicle was stuck in a plant. I freed her she swam away. The dalmation that looked the worst yesterday, as far as behavior goes(clamped fins, not eating, floating slightly nose up), is looking much better today, swimming around normally and eating. One of the other dalmations is swimming/floating nose up :(

I don't know what to do. I think I will be prepared to euthanize if things get any worse. I hate to see the suffering...

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Wow....best of luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store