Enough Filtrations

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
I have a 150G tank I'm in the process of stocking, and I finally got my huge order from Big Al's. In it were my new filters. Do you think 2 AC500's and a Magnum 350 Pro with Bio-Wheel will be enough filtration for an "African Overstocked" tank? If not, any suggestions for additional filtration? One thing I know for sure is that any additional filters will have to be canister types with a small intake/return as the bank of the tank is pretty much full from the 3 current filters.

Thanks.

fishbrain

PROUD TO BE AMERICAN
yea ,you might want to add a canister filter.At bigsals you can pick up the xp models from filstarfor a cheap price.I just got the xp1 it was only 49.99$,they work great,easy maint,quiet,all around a good canister filter for your money.

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I personally would get a canister and devote it only to biological filtering. Your AC's will be more than sufficient for mechanical and you can fit plenty of carbon/other media in your Magnum (As well as provide good mechanical. I just feel that to give the AC's the best chance of doing their job, they should be cleaned vigorously every week and that will disturb any bio from getting very established there. I'd question the holding capacity of the Magnum for enough ceramic noodles/bio media to support an overstocked 150 gal. To sum up, I'd get a bio-devoted canister.

I would have first suggested a wet/dry sump, but it seems you aren't interested in doing that, hence my other advice.

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
So you don't think that the Magnum Pro with the Bio-Wheel would be enough bio? How much larger is your average canister filter? I would have thought any size insufficiencies the canister had would be made up by the bio-wheels.

Barbie

Fishaholic
You will be just fine with that for filtration IMO morleyz. The sponges in the aquaclears also function as beds for biological bacteria. My 125 with the rays and discus is filtered by 2 AC500s. The water stays crystal clear and the water parameters are always perfect. Those same filters were on the tank when I had 40 assorted tanganyikans and 15 rainbows with the big synodontis in the tank. They handled the load no problem. I do weekly 25% water changes.

Hope that helps :)

Barbie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store