Will you help me with the quest for the west african mudskipper?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
A 10 gallon is going to be too small in the long run for one Mudskipper let alone two. Usually a 30-40 gallon tank is a good size for a Skippy for life (bigger is always better though). As for finding a Mudskipper, I would go to your lfs, and ask them to special order one for you. Most of the Freshwater Wholesalers can get them/have them, just many stores won't order Skippies cause most people don't have the habitat for them. Also not quite sure how the Mudskipper would do with the crab, the Skipper might get pinched and that would be the end of little Skippy. Just things to keep in mind. Anyway hope this helps and good luck!

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
If I can actually get the mudskipper, I'll try to upgrade to a new tank. If I get the mudskipper, I will try different tank designs each month. But I highly doubt I will get one, so I'll just stick with a 10 gallon.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
As I said before, check with your lfs. Pretty much no online vendors sell them or any of the other exotic Brackish water fish, there isn't enough demand for them. Trust me, I used to work at a fish store and did all the ordering for them, Mudskippers were on the ordering list almost every week! If you ask your lfs to order one, I'm sure they would order one for you! Good luck!

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
As I said before, check with your lfs. Pretty much no online vendors sell them or any of the other exotic Brackish water fish, there isn't enough demand for them. Trust me, I used to work at a fish store and did all the ordering for them, Mudskippers were on the ordering list almost every week! If you ask your lfs to order one, I'm sure they would order one for you! Good luck!
I tried asking every pet store in my area, but I failed miserably. :(

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
What species of Mudskipper are you looking for? There are a few referred to as the West African (the main one is P. barbarus which is one of the larger skips which definitely would need larger than a 10g). Here is a Mudskipper currently for sale from LiveAquaria. It costs 20, but add in the 30 shipping and that is one expensive Mudskipper! I got mine from a local fish store for 10.99 (it is an Asian Skippy, haven't taken the time yet to figure out what sp).
Here is the link
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=41416

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
My goal is a young african. when it hits 6 inches, I'll move it to a bigger tank. They might order them in at All about fish for 15 bucks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store