What fish did you start off in the hobby with?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mickey

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Ireland
www.setbb.com
When i started fish keeping, 7 years ago i was advised to
buy some guppies by a friend of mine, he said they were cheap,
hardy and fun to keep.
This turned out to be true, i had a lot of fun with these fish in
my 30g and i learned the basics from keeping them.
I would be interested to hear what kind of fish you guys started
off with in the hobby and what fish you would advise a novice
to start of with today.
I wouldn't advise someone to start off with guppies today as i
dont think they are as hardy and easy to keep as they were 7 years ago,
Cheers.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I think zebra danios are a good first fish.

If you think guppies of 7 years ago were hardier, think 35 years ago. My first fish were guppies. They were extras from a girl I went to school with. We spent lunch at that school, so basically they were in a bowl all day at school. I took them home and housed them in a 2 gallon goldfish bowl. It was unheated and unfiltered. Once a week I transferred them to a soup bowl and cleaned their "tank" and gravel with dish soap, rinsed well, put in new water, without dechlorinating it, and put the guppies back in. They lived for quite a while under those horrid conditions and even bred. I used to pull out the fry into another bowl, but they always died. Little wonder.

Then I finally figured out what I should be doing. My first tank with filter and heater was a 5 gallon aluminum framed tank; it is still sitting in my parents' basement. The canopy was aluminum, too. Very, very shiny. I had guppies in that tank, too.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The first fish that I had all to myself was a betta. He died in 1 day. A few bettas later and I finally now get what is going on in the world of fish and what it takes to make sure they survive.

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
Well, I guess goldfish would have to be my first fish. Although, I was really young and I thought they were really annoying. But this year, when I got back into fishkeeping, I started with zebra danios.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I guess guppies are or were a common starter fish back in the day. I also had a common pleco. I started with them somewhere's around 20+ years ago, and started with them with not so good habits as well. I had them in a 20 gallon, I had a whisper filter and no heater. I never did water changes. I never offered the pleco anything more than the falling fishfood that I gave the guppies and thought he could survive on just that. It seemed my plecos never made it past being 3 inches or so in them days.... I musta been starving them. 20 years and lots of trial and error, topped with exerience and the advice here, I've got highly successful tank (IMO of course) and I shine when people are in awe when they see it. :D

B

BigFishDude

a ten gallon with with about 10 goldfish a betta and a pictus cat. Mind you I was about 5 years old. The one fish per gallon rule was quite popular way back when :rolleyes: ;)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
My 1st fish were Bleeding Heart Tetras, a corydoras, and red velvet swordtails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store