Peacock eel questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
I am buying a tank soon that is coming already stocked with fish including a peacock eel. Now my question is how big do they get fully grown and what size tank do they need and what kind of decor would make them happy. Also how do they do with other eels cause this little guy has me fascinated even though i have only seen him once when i went to look at the tank yesterday.

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
12 inches in the wild, 6 in captivity. I would suggest getting a ghost house or pvc pipe, with soft substrate that won't scratch them.
How big is the tank? I can imagine if the tank is perhaps 60 gallons, you could house two or three.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
the tank he is in now is a 30 gal but he will be coming with 4 rainbow fish and 3 african cichlids both of which i will be trading to my LFS and i will be keeping the eel

will he be ok in a 29 gal tank for awhile until i can get him his own larger home where i can get him some company of his own kind cause i am planning on making the 30 gal he is in now into a dwarf cichlid tank and i have an empty 29 gal that i can put him into until i can get him a larger home

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
He will probably max out at 7-8 inches and will most likely spend the majority of the day hiding. He will do just fine in the 29gallon and I think you could get another if you wanted to. They seem to enjoy each others company. Any more the 2 I would get a bigger tank. Any fish that can fit into his mouth he will eat but otherwise he won't bother your other fish. That being said I have raised fry to adulthood in a tank with an eel so it is possible. They like to bury themselves and since they don't have scales you need to make sure the gravel doesn't have sharp points. Mine will only eat live blackworms and occasionally the frozen stuff. They don't eat flake food. They are very good jumpers and **will** jump out of your tank. Just give them time. I have lost a couple eels this way. Make sure every opening is covered, I have used paper and duct tape successfully.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
thanks i will definitely put him in the 29gal then i was planning on making this tank into an african cichlid tank with some shell dwellers and some J. dickfeldi but that can wait until i get a bigger tank for the eel(and friends of his own kind) but the only substrate that i currently have is Eco-complete for african cichlids(bought it in advance cause i was planning on putting them in there rather soon but they can wait) do you think this will be fine enough that he will be ok, and i was planning on sustaining him almost completely on live food, mostly brine shrimp and black worms until i think he is big enough for glass shrimp and fry from another tank. I have also decided to keep the 3 african cichlids that he is currently housed with also but they are only juvies so they will be ok with him in the 29gal for awhile until i get the bigger thank then they might go in there with him(and any of his future companions).

Woofy

Registered crazy
Jun 30, 2006
Miami
www.myspace.com
8" around there. They will hide all the time. And if he ever goes missing DO look in the filter. I had one who would just spend all day jumping into the filter. I had to tape up allll the holes in the tank. They escape very easy.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
he is about 7-8in right now so i dont think he is gonna grow any more and i did some measuring after i got the tank home and it is a 29gal not a 30gal and he has recently started coming out during the day quite alot and i think this is cause i added more hiding places mainly for the cichlids but he seems to like them too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store