My German Blue Ram thinks he is a Tiger Barb!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
So i decided to take my German Blue Ram out of my 30 gallon, because little Molly fry is poppin up!! We put him in my semi-aggressive planted 55g today and he instantly started schooling with my tiger barbs! It is so funny... Anyone know why he is doing this?

And also i wanted your alls opinion on compatibility with the German Blue Ram and others in my tank. I dont know what he can and cant go with...

I have 1 Shark Catfish, 9 Tiger barbs, 1 Silver Dollar, 3 Angelfish, 1 Bala Shark, 5 Peppered Cory Cats, 1 Common Pleco

(and i know the angels and tigers dont usually go together but they are totally fine, the barbs keep to themselves.)

Thanks for the advice in advance ;)

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
which tank is this? all of your tanks are to small for the bala and the pleco
My 55 gallon i just got off craigslist a week ago.

the bala and pleco are fine right now, they are small.. I am upgrading soon, and i will be getting a school of balas, and when they are large enough i am going to put them with my oscars...

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
shark catfish?

Yeah its weird.. When i got the fish it was called Shadowfin Shark.. and i bought a fish book this weekend that calls it shark catfish and its brackish water... I never knew it was brack, and hell im just going to keep him the way he is i have had him for a year now... and he doesnt bother anyone, he keeps to himself...

Why are you soo against barbs with angels, jim??

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
tiger barbs are very aggresive fin nippers and have been know to be attracked to the long flowing fins of angelfish which are perfect for nipping.

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
tiger barbs are very aggresive fin nippers and have been know to be attracked to the long flowing fins of angelfish which are perfect for nipping.
Well i get that, but i also found out the more barbs you have the less aggressive they are towards other fish and the more they will annoy each other. We currently have 9.

And to be completely honest i tried to get my fiance to get rid of the barbs all together but he absolutely refuses, so now he just keeps getting more because of what i said before.

Commodore 64

AC Members
Feb 26, 2008
Kent, Ohio
But one way to reduce or sometimes eliminate this behavior is to keep tiger barbs in schools...which the OP is doing.

Until the balas and pleco are too big for the tank, there is nothing wrong with someone keeping them for a year or so and rehoming them later.

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
But one way to reduce or sometimes eliminate this behavior is to keep tiger barbs in schools...which the OP is doing.

Until the balas and pleco are too big for the tank, there is nothing wrong with someone keeping them for a year or so and rehoming them later.
What do you mean OP??

thank you!!! that makes me feel better, i feel like everyone is always against what im doing..... I know they have a point, but you still made me feel better, like im not hella stupid :p

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Yeah its weird.. When i got the fish it was called Shadowfin Shark.. and i bought a fish book this weekend that calls it shark catfish and its brackish water... I never knew it was brack, and hell im just going to keep him the way he is i have had him for a year now... and he doesnt bother anyone, he keeps to himself...

Why are you soo against barbs with angels, jim??
because tiger barbs are such bad fin nippers. they'll leave the angels with no fins in no time, even if they are in a large group.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store