yoyo loach disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dethjam316

AC Members
Apr 6, 2003
south of nowhere, north of nothing
ok, i've had 4 yoyo loaches for about a year. they've survived 2 moves, one all the way from nj to florida, yet within the last week, they seem to be dropping like flies to some sort of horrible disease. one is dead, one is MIA (likely dead), one is quarrantined (for 2 days so far) as it shows signs of the same disease. one remains in the tank showing no current signs of disease, along with a 5th that was added about a month ago. the 5th one is much smaller and also shows no signs of disease whatsoever. in fact, that one seems healthier than ever and has been eating more.

the disease seems to be some sort of fungus or bacteria infection, causing whitish streaks that peel off the loach's skin and fins. my observations of the one that has passed show that in the latter stages, this results in the underside of the loach turning red, apparent hemorraging or something. all in all, it's pretty grotesque. the one that is in quarrantine shows no signs of this late-stage bleeding, only the early "peeling". he is sluggish and hasn't been eating, as well. i have been treating with melafix but nothing else, and his condition has not improved...but i've only been treating him for 2 days.

other fish in the 50g tank include 5 skunk loaches, 7 leopard danios, 3 pearl gouramis, and a relatively small tiretrack eel. none of these fish exhibit any signs of disease, and they're behavior has been completely normal. thus, this ailment seems to only be affecting the yoyos. tank parameters are: ammonia and nitrites ~0ppm, ph stable around 7.0...just checked again. temperature stable @ 79 degrees.

suggestions? help? insights?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store