What's a good tank mate for kribs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johnnydp11

AC Members
Jul 22, 2008
Greensboro, North Carolina
I'm thinking about getting a pair of kribs to put in my 20 gallon tank. I was wondering what kind of fish would best be compatible for them. I was thinking a few zebra danios as dither fish and a few panda cories and a few ottos. What do ya'll think?

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
As Lupin says as long as they are not breeding anything will be safe, but as soon as they start to breed I don't think there's much I'd try in a twenty with them. There's no room to escape when the Kribs defend their territory and fry.
I'd certainly stay away form the Oto's and the cories.

johnnydp11

AC Members
Jul 22, 2008
Greensboro, North Carolina
I actually do want to breed them lol. Well the only reason why I wanted cories and ottos was to keep the tank clean. What about snails? Would they be ok? Also as soon as they start to spawn I'll take the zebra danios out into my 10 gallon so they won't eat the babies. I just want them in there as dither fish. I heard that helps fish to spawn. I just want to watch the kribs protect their babies. I've never seen it before and I find it interesting. And if they survive then I'll sell them to locals or give them to my lfs for credit.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
my pair eats more snails than food. I have a tetra in with them, but I used to have two.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If your plan from the beginning is to breed...don't bother getting anything else.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
yeah they get pretty rough when breeding. If I were to be adding other fish, I would only put in one spawning cave in one corner of the tank leaving as much space as possible for the dithers. They will stay in the corner most of the time when spawning but anything bigger than a neon they'll come across the tank to chase it. I think a few zebra danios should be ok but you won't be able to keep many.

How is your tank set-up? that is what will determine your tank mates I think

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You'll probably need a place to put the male if they have babies. After a week or 2 he's usually ready to go again & she's still tending fry. He'll be in trouble if he can't get away & in a 20 he can't.

If you don't want them to breed only keep 1 krib, then you can have other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store