Tilapia Buttikoferi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Has anyone raised Tilapia Buttikoferi? I had 3 in a 110 gal. tank along with a few other large cichlids in the tank. At about the time one of the buttikoferis grew to about 6 in., he became really aggresive, killing one of his own, and a couple more of the other fish in the tank at the time. I think they are one of the nastiest african cichlids around. I had to finally part with the other buttikoferis. I just could not keep any other fish with them.:devil:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
yeap that is one truely aggressive fish when it gets older, i will never have them again even in a 1000gal

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I have looked into keeping them, they are impressive fish as adults. From what I read they are a solo fish, though. I would encourage my friends to get one so I can check it out as an adult, but I wouldn't keep a one-fish tank again.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
i am like you afro i dont have a use for a one fish tank for me its a big tank with alot of fish in it so i can actually see fish swimming by..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It is hard to justify a one fish tank unless you have a lot of tanks. But if you are going to have one, a Buttikoferi is definitely an impressive fish.

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
buttikoferi are awesome fish and many can be show quality, especially fully grown. there are quite a few on MFK (monster fish keepers) who keep those guys.

Artemis JT

AC Members
May 24, 2008
Wiscawnsin
I used to have one. Probably the most aggressive cichlid I've kept besides my dovii. When he was 7'' long he chased around my 12'' plecos...

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
I have a juvenille in with a black shark, a Jaguar and two Oscars. He's holding his own so far. Anything that can hang with a black shark is going to be alright.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store