Goldfish sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DKiM128

AC Members
Aug 9, 2003
IL
Visit site
As you might know, I got a goldfish a while ago aropund 6-8 inches. I've been trying to take care of it but he's not looking so well still. Today I look into the tank, and there are a lot of white stuff on the ground of the tank. What is this white stuff, should I be worried. They look like fluffy long white things. um...looks like maggot size fluffy white things. I have no clue what it is.

matty150

AC Members
Sep 1, 2003
winnetka, Il
Visit site
sounds to me like rotting food, how often are you feeding and how much. uneaten food that falls to the bottom begins to rot after a day or two. when excess food rots it looks white and fluffy almost like cotton. i would do an immediate water change and cut down of the feeding.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Agree with the above- if it is rotten food it has to be siphoned out. If it is stringy poops they have to be siphoned out. Goldfish require really clean water- I'd recommend water changes twice a week until your fish perks up.
Here is a great Diagnosis by Poop page- maybe something there will ring a bell for you?
Lots of other great goldfish info as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store