Finally, Brichardi Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I've had 2 pairs of Brichardi purchased as juvies about a year ago, and I noticed today during their water change, one pair has finally spawned. This is my first successful breeding of Tanganyikan cichlids. The clutch is small, and the parents will have a heck of a time defending them against the 3 Calvus in the tank, hopefully some will survive.

IMG_0352.JPG IMG_0353.JPG

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
An interesting tidbit: one Brichardi stays near the eggs at all times, but all 4 continue to school and socialize as a group. This is something I have never seen in a cichlid, and I believe is a behavior unique to Brichardi.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
cool afro on the spawn i have a sixsome of brichardi that should be spawning any time soon i also have some new brevis fry i should have a photo soon well goodluck on the hatching process buddy..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Congrats! I hope some of the fry make it!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Thanks everybody, I'll post pics as we go along. I'd love to keep them together as they would in the wild, but I think my tank is too full of predators for any to survive. I"ll remove a few once they hatch and raise them in a seperate tank.

Jon: They are most certainly siblings, they came from a tank where several generations were allowed breed and establish a colony. I'm a bit worried about the young, the parents have shown some signs of too much inbreeding, a few in the tank I got them from showed twisted mouths and other signs of genetic problems. I'll have to wait and see what these guys look like.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Congrats!

I wouldn't worry too much about the calvus getting the fry. Brichardi are known for terrorizing intruders even to the point of pushing them to one side of the tank. It's good for the fry but not always good for the other inhabitants. Just something to watch out for.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I think for the most part the rest of the gang knows to stay away, they give that back corner a pretty wide berth. I see the Calvus being pushed away from time to time ( they bend their sides toward the attacker, with those sharp scales exposed, and just allow themselves to be pushed around ).
BTW, today I have wrigglers. I'll have to be hatching some shrimps soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store