First Terrarium what to put in it, Help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Darkness9876

AC Members
Aug 11, 2008
No Where Kansas
I have a recently set up 90 gallon terrarium and I want to know what to put in it. It currently houses 2 Fire Bellied newts, 7 glofish, 2 Flying foxes and a Pictus cat that is soon to be leaving. As for land plants it has a pothos, dracenea and a Diffenbachia. There is one water plant but I am unsure what it is. It is a rosette with dark reddish green leaves that have a stem and a paddleshaped leaf.

I am going to get a few more newts I belive and something to replace my pictus but would like some ideas.

I would also like to have a moss or two in the land area and draping of my driftwood and perhaps duckweed floating on the top and maybe a little guppy grass.

I will try and post some pictures in a moment.

Oh my water area is filterd at 105 gallons an hour and it has a volume of roughly 15 gallons. I have a hood on the way that should be here today or tommorow. It is a 3 tube t5. I would also like suggestion on the lights as I have no idea lights even for my house confuse me.

Pretty much all I know at the moment is how to take care of what I have and any information would be helpful.

Darkness9876

AC Members
Aug 11, 2008
No Where Kansas
Also how do you post pictures. I tried attachment and a black window popped up and I tried insert picture and it asked for a Url. I am new to this and don't know.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Your water area is overstocked, I would suggest to take out the flying foxes. What re the water area's dimensions?

Darkness9876

AC Members
Aug 11, 2008
No Where Kansas
The water area is not able to be measured in diminsions becasue of the many curves. it is however either 6-12 inches width wise and about 40 length by about 7 1/2 deep. I Know that it holds about 15 without rock and a place for the newts but they take up about 3 so roughly 12.

Darkness9876

AC Members
Aug 11, 2008
No Where Kansas
So I've been looking around and this is what I think.

For plants I think these would look good.

I belive I will use java moss as a ground cover. I think it will look nice and help blur the square edge left at the edge of the water by the plexiglass divider and cover up the small gap between the dirt and water. I think it will also make the line between the cocofiber/jungle dirt and the rock beach look much less crisp and unatural it should also look interesting spilling around my waterfall. At the base of the waterfall under water I would like a short dense almost grasslike plant. I have seen these in several tanks but I don't know what it is or what it requires. I am also interested in a bromeliad or two for my back wall. I want to know if these will grow on the slate and grout wall I have on the back wall as well as one on my driftwood piece and if so how do I attach these? And for the area around the slate ledge I built for my newts to climb out of the water and onto the land I am thinking about a lily, Or maybe just Duckweed as I want something on the top of the water just a pool of water to me looks unatural as I hardly ever see them in nature without some form of vegetation.

I also like the look of dwarf baby tears I think that I shall use it in my 5.5g I set up today. Any information on its lighting and water needs would be helpful.

As I said before I am getting a triple light fixture that uses t5 bulbs. I would like for a little explenation on bulbs though.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Virtuoso2K12

Mar 2, 2008
Southern CA
go to home depot ,garden, there may be a section where they have plants for vivariums like bromeliads and maybe go with endlers or white clouds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store