Scientific name for German Blue Ram

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Visually, Blue Ram and German Blue Ram looks different - German Blue ram is somewhat more colorful and this is the species I am trying to get.

At LFS, they have one that is called "assorted rams", which doesn't give me much clue... :D It was also labeled Papiliochromis ramirezi. Is this German or non-German Blue Ram? I tried to look for both Blue Ram and German Blue Ram on the internet and they appear to use the same scientific names for both "species"...

Appreciate any feedback!

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
Same fish. Papiliochromis ramirezi is the older scientific name for the fish. Mi(c)krogeophagus ramirezi is the scientifically recognized name for the German Blue Ram or Blue Ram.

Here's a quote from an internet source:
"Like Kribensis, ichtyologists have provided some debate over the name of this interesting fish. Years ago it could be found under the latin name Apistogramma ramirezi (Myers & Harry, 1948), but in 1971, Herbert Alxelrod coined the name Microgeophagus in one of his publications and as of today the fish is officially recognized as Microgeophagus Ramirezi (usually spelled with a 'k' in Europe). As of today, the general concensus (supported by Romer and Kullander, Meulengracht-Madsen) is that the old name of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi is the valid name for the German Blue Ram. Older publications may refer to the fish as Papiliochromis Ramirezi (colorful butterfly - Politikens Forlag 1968, Kullander 1981]."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store