Fire shrimp compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LCP136

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Fire shrimp, like all shrimp, hermits, crabs, and other invertebrates, are a lot like fish. If you don't overstock and each invertebrate has adequate space, they will only bother each other minimally. Like fish in a properly populated tank they will butt heads slightly, occasionally resulting in a lost leg at worst which grows back with a molt. If, however, you overstock, they will kill each other until they all have the space they need.

Basically, if you stock well, they will be fine. If this is for the 29 I would only add 1 fire shrimp, as my 2 in a 90 still fight sometimes(one just lost a leg). You could and probably should add a couple skunk shrimp that will keep your fish free of external parasites.

Good luck. I hope this helps

LCP

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I think I would only want one, a nice shrimp centerpiece. I have two skunk and two peppermint already. I had read in one book about them being a problem for zoanthids, other polyps, and LPS.

LCP136

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
I've never heard that. Everyone i've encountered has consider them to be totally reef safe. In a 29 gallon tank I wouldn't recommend adding any more shrimp. In my experience the bloods are the least friendly shrimp and might start picking on others if you added any more than the one blood.

LCP136

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
I think that since you have very passive shrimp one fire shrimp is fine for the tank, just don't add other shrimp after that.

jencheung

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just a word of caution - I have a 24 gallon and I put in a peppermint shrimp, a skunk cleaner shrimp and then added the fire shrimp last (waited about 2 weeks until adding the fire shrimp). In less than a month all I had left was the fire shrimp. I never saw an outright attack but the shrimp were around, active, eating and then one day the skunk was gone. Two weeks later the peppermint disappeared. I think the fire shrimp waited until they were molting and then struck while they were weak. So I don't know if you should or shouldn't but if you do, even if it's added last, you might still lose the more passive shrimp.

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
I have had two fire shrimp in my 46 gallon for a year and a half with no problems! They are one of the first things mentioned by visitors looking at my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store