Sexing yellow tailed acei

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Males tend to be more brightly colored females are duller

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
venting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or buy 6 to 7 juvies

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Aceis are strongly monomorphic, both males and females can be bright or dull, like jpappy said color is rarely if ever an indication of sex especially with monomorphic species.

Africans have also been known to take on a color of an opposite sex (from my own experience), without actually changing the sex, so vent them it's easy and you'll know for sure.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
P.S. I get my africans from a species tank and look for the most dominant fish in the tank, which will usually yield a male (this is not a 100%, but if the fish are anywhere around 2" the odds are in favor of it being a male) it's how I've got my acei, yellow lab, red zebra, afra and greshakei, which after venting are all males. Alot of lfs's will also let you vent fish (again if they're sexually mature) or will vent them for you, if they don't feel comfortable with you handling their fish.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
When fully matured the dorsal and anal fin tips of males will be pointy-er and their pelvic fins are proportionately larger (compared to the rounded tips and proportionately smaller pelvic fins of the females). Behavior (usually in the form of the instinct to attract mates) will also let you know.

Smaller juvies are harder to tell, but with acei's gender ratio isn't important if you've got a well sized group of them (7+).

For a smaller group (4-5), you may shoot for 2m/2-3f, in which case you probably will want to vent.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Good luck lol

I have a group of yellow tailed acei and I know I have one male and one female(they have bred) the rest I'm not 100% sure about. I got all the juvies at the same time and I had a couple that grew way faster and turned out to be male.I removed extra males and now I believe I have mostly females. My largest male is brighter and generally looks nicer but the other males blended right in with the females. The females tend to stick together a bit more from what I've read. I have a school of 4 and the male will be off on the other side of the tank doing his own thing. It's all guessing in the end, I have found acei to be very difficult to sex without venting them. Luckily they are not as picky about the gender ratios as most other mbuna

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store