New shots... SE Asian and African biotope tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Here are some new shots of my Asian and African biotope tanks. Please see the post labeled, "Tank Shots" for more images. Hope you guys enjoy seeing these as much as I enjoy trying to play aqua-photographer.

125 gallon SE Asian flooded biotope:

Asia5.JPG

Java fern on the "Triceratops skull".

Asia6.JPG

CO2 loop outlet and drop checker... still green (4 dKH solution).

Asia8.JPG

The grass is starting to fill in, as is the Hygrophila corymbosa

Asia9.JPG

Asia10.JPG

ID Shark.

Asia11.JPG

Since the last set of photos I posted a few days ago, the Rotala indica has started to grow root "whiskers" all over the upper branches.

Asia7.JPG

What price "glory"...... tank guts of wire/CO2 injection.

101-0175_IMG.JPG

Night effects courtesy of blue LEDs.

90 gallon tall African biotope - under construction:

Africa3.JPG

Africa4.JPG

The Senegal (Cuvier's) bichir finally makes an appearance. This specimen is around 8 inches long.

Now for the fun part.... the African tank needs rockwork. I went to the local rockshop today to check out their agates/granites/basalts and they had a great selection of big, raw chunks of white peppered obsidian, similar to this...

40006444.JPG

They have more than enough to make some nice formations and the stuff is pretty cheap (since its raw and unpolished). It is not overly shiny, and in fact has a pretty dull appearance. Dominant color is black. I did some research, and mottled obsidian deposits do occur in the eastern river systems of Africa, so I could sleep at night :grinyes:

Nevertheless, I'd like to get some opinions re: how this might look. The substrate is a white/black pepper so it could be an interesting effect. Thanks for any/all feedback!

Asia5.JPG Asia6.JPG Asia8.JPG Asia9.JPG Asia10.JPG Asia11.JPG Asia7.JPG 101-0175_IMG.JPG Africa3.JPG Africa4.JPG 40006444.JPG

Last edited:

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Awesome tanks, I love your eye and attention to detail. Designing around a particular biotope adds , I think, a whole different dimension to fishkeeping and can make for a beautiful tank. In my opinion, the obsidian is nice but from a design standpoint the driftwood you have in there is spectacular and deserves to be the center of attention. Too many focal points can be overpowering to the eye. Sometimes less is more.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
looking great. Want to swap that complete setup thats in your stand?? lol
BK I've seen many of your tank shots and can safely say you don't need to swap/upgrade a thing! The technology can be nice but as you know, its no substitute for old-fashioned elbow grease and a lot of TLC.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Dominion, I especially appreciate your comments re: focal points :D It's making me consider the color scheme in particular, as there is no doubt it would be (as aquaparadise mentions) "extreme".

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great looking tanks! Love that rock!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store