Ick attack....!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spunjin

Manzanita Supplier
Aug 7, 2008
Ridgecrest, CA
seanrubino.com
Real Name
Sean Rubino
Camera Used
iPhone X
I am also treating my tank for Ich. I am just using a salt and heat treatment since I don't want to stain the silicone in the tank or harm other fish with chemicals. You may want to do some research to see if a little salt over a 2 week period will hurt your fish first. Then raise the temp to 84 Deg F. and add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. Keep the salt at that level for 14 days and gradually lower the salinity via water changes to get the desired water condition back to normal (after all ich infections have disappeared, of coarse). Good luck.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Are you certain these died from Ich?? what were the symptoms of the fish, what marks did they have on the outside of the bodies? What was their mannerism like in the tank ( lethargic, scratching, heavy bereathing etc etc )...

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I am also treating my tank for Ich. I am just using a salt and heat treatment since I don't want to stain the silicone in the tank or harm other fish with chemicals. You may want to do some research to see if a little salt over a 2 week period will hurt your fish first. Then raise the temp to 84 Deg F. and add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. Keep the salt at that level for 14 days and gradually lower the salinity via water changes to get the desired water condition back to normal (after all ich infections have disappeared, of coarse). Good luck.

This is regarding Marine Ich, not Freshwater, my friend...So, salt is already available in the tank, and the methods are very different between the two types of fish...

Thanks for the input though...

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
The best in tank treatment that works for me is to raise the temperature of the tank to around 85-86 and feed them very well (not a lot but good food soaked in garlic), keeping their immune systems strong and the higher temperature i believe speeds up the life cycle of the ich, so with a strong immune system and the faster life cycle which could equal a "death cycle" in turn could help out. Good luck.

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
I agree. I have an ICH MAGNET (hippo tang). Everytime you disturb the tank he shows a few spots. As long as he is eating well and not acting funny, it could do more harm to treat than to just let it go. All of my other fish are happy and healthy and never show any signs.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I don't usually promote the use of products like this, but it worked for me. I treated my 75G tank with the whole bottle (used as directed!) until gone. It took a month, but it worked.
check here: Ruby Reef Kick-Ich
*note: I used the 2 liter bottle.(treats 150G for 2 weeks or 75G for 4 weeks)
I strongly recommend treating the tank for 4 weeks.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
When you learn about ich, even 4 weeks may not be long enough. ich being as nasty as it is to get rid of, another 2 weeks for a total of 6, as long as the fish are not stressed etc.

I would love to hear more reviews of this kick ich product.

The ich in it's free swimming days is when you can kill it. There are other stages in ich lifecycle where it is almost impossible to kill. The life cycle is 4-6 weeks usually around 4.

The temp and garlic method is what I would try first. Cheaper, less chemicals. The garlic does't kill ich, but rather works on two fronts. It encourages your fish to eat and stay healthy, and it is said that the garlic in the water makes it harder for the ich in its free swimming stage to find a host fish. Without a host fish, it (ich) will die in 24 hours.

Just because the white spots disappear, doesn't mean ich is gone, rather that they have detatched from your fish after feeding on it and have gone to the substrate to grow and multiply.

This is why treating in a hospital tank is more effective. You can clean away the dormant ich from the bottom easily.

Best Luck on this

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
I being a newbie at the time tried a lot of stuff . I will try to explain my course of treatment as exact as I can remember.
Hippo tang was showing classic signs of ich just days after getting him home after further research discovered this was a trait of the hippo tang. The advice that people had to give was varied and not real clear it varied from do nothing to take everything out of the tank let it run empty for 6 weeks while treating all of my fish with something that could kill them too.

The first thing I tried was getting their appetite up feeding well with food soaked in garlic. The idea here was that if you feed the fish food soaked with garlic not only would it stimulate the fishes appetite but it would change the scent that the fish has in the water and make it difficult for the free swimming ich to find the fish. After 2 weeks nothing had changed and I couldn't stand the garlic smell in the house (and I am full blooded italian to illustate how bad this really was) anymore so I decided to try something else.

I went to Epcot to talk with some of the marine biologists at the living seas. They showed me that some of their new Hippo's had the same problem as well. They said to just feed them well and It will eventually go away on its own. They told me I could also try buying a couple of cleaner shrimp to help.

I then stopped by the pet store to talk with the manager who is a friend of mine and asked him what he would do if it were his tank. He said he would try ruby kick-ich. He did not have it but he called around and found it for me.

I got home turned of my skimmer(instructions on the bottle) and started the aggressive treatment on the bottle. I went to the pet store and bought 2 cleaner shrimp, after being acclimated for 1.5 hours went right to work on any fish that would swim by. Biggest problem 2 weeks with no skimmer and really high nitrates as a result. I decided I was going to do a large water change and start a second treatment. I bought a second bottle of kick-ich and it is still sitting in my cabinet. I decided before I was going to start the second treatment that I was going to get my nitrates back into check. So I started doing 20 gallon water changes ever other day and vacuuming the sand. I also ordered a uv sterilizer to help kill off any of the free swimming parasites. After 1 week of every other day vac & waterchange plus feeding , the uv, and the shrimp there were no signs of ich anywhere in my tank. Every once and a while the hippo gets stressed and gets a few little spots but they are usually gone within a day.

So I guess the moral of the story is dont try all that crap on the store shelves. keep your water pristine, you temp stable, add a couple cleaner shrimp, and have a good and varied diet and they will over come it on their own.

50% of people say there is ich in every marine system and there is no way to completely eradicate it. It is usually always dormant but only surfaces when the fishes immune system is lowered due to stress or sickness.

50% of people say it is not there unless we introduce it on an infected fish. We should quarantine any new fish that we get for 6-8 weeks to make sure it does not show any signs of sickness or disease before adding it to our system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store