Plans for constructing a 125 gallon stand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Boomer77

AC Members
Jul 22, 2008
Hi everyone.

I purchased a 125 gallon tank off craigslist last week and just recently resealed the tank just to be safe (some of the silicone was turning blue). Anyway, the stand that came with it is ok, but I'd like something that looks better. Does anyone know of any place I can get ahold of some plans for constructing a stand for this thing? I've found one design off of garf.org, but want to get a few different ideas. Also, are stands terribly difficult to build? Thanks for the help everyone.

Joe :look:

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Stands are pretty easy to build; you can make them as complicated as you want, of course, but you're basically just making a nice, sturdy box. For a 125 stand I would use 2 X 4's and 2 3/4" deck screws with wood glue. Make a top and a bottom like this:

Then cut six 2 X 4's to the desired height of the stand. Attach like so:

Of course it is very important that your stand is squared properly.

You now have a serviceable skeleton. Screw a piece of plywood to the top and you have a nice minimal stand, or you can skin the whole piece out with plywood and add doors and such for a cabinet-style stand. There's lots more you can do; it just depends how you want your stand to look.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Yeah; when you add the 1.5" for each of the long boards, the width of the whole assembly is 1" greater than the width of the tank.

If you're skinning the whole thing with plywood, it helps to add some vertical face boards, 7" shorter than the legs, at the corners and middle; these will give you something to nail the plywood to between the top and bottom.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Even good quality 1 x 4 will work. With good quality plywood skin on all sides. Google can be your best friend when looking for DIY plans on cabinets.

Tifire22

Hook 'em Horns
Nov 7, 2005
Ohio
My only suggestion is to put the vertical supports on top of the frame rather than beside them like shown in that drawing. With something that weight you would rather have the wood bearing all the weight rather than the screws holding it up. Just my two cents.

Boomer77

AC Members
Jul 22, 2008
Help

Thanks for the help everyone. After thinking about it, I think I'm just going to stick with the stand that came with the tank. Structurally, it looks fine. However, the outside isn't the prettiest, which doesn't matter to me, but my wife said something :-0. I've attached a pic of the stand and am looking for some ideas on how to make this thing more presentable. I'm not sure what type of plywood this is. I was thinking about just getting a dark stain to cover up some of the blemishes. Any ideas?

004.JPG

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Cover it with 1/4" Oak plywood and trim it out, then stain it Golden oak...
would look like a new stand.

Look at the link in my sig to see the stand I built out of plywood for my 125...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store