Drooping Dorsal Fin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Angie_xx_Angie

is getting a betta for Xmas!~ ? u ?
Aug 7, 2008
California
Real Name
Angie
Hey guys!
I just bought a comet yesterday! Its dorsal fin is drooping and it looks like a dorsal fin-less fish. Is something wrong?

Angie_xx_Angie

is getting a betta for Xmas!~ ? u ?
Aug 7, 2008
California
Real Name
Angie
Replies

Sorry, no cam.
It lives in a fish bowl. (9" diameter)

Po.Verse

AC Members
Jul 19, 2008
That could have ALOT to do with it.

And what are the parameters like asked?

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
for one, please invest in a big tank as soon as you can. if the Goldie is a fancy, they need 30 gallons at the least, and a common/comet goldie gets to be 18-20" and need a much bigger tank.
goldfish are poop machines, and need at least double the filtration like a good canister or a good bio-wheel. (i.e. if the tank is 30G, you need atleast 60G filter.)
my 6 goldfish are young still, and are in a 65G w/ 140G worth of filtration. and they are getting close to needing at 120G soon.
invest in a liquid test kit, like API's Liquid Master Test kit.
my one comet is 6-7" and is about a year old tops.

the fish should not have clamped fins, they should swim around with all their fins out, not tucked in towards the body.
one, its stressed for sure... ammonia is most likely slowly making it sick and killing it.

please just look at my avatar.
also, FYI, a comet/common goldfish can out grow even a 30G very quickly. keep that in mind.
if you dont have room for a big tank, please do the right thing for the fish and give him to someone who has a goldfish/koi pond, or has a big Goldfish tank already, or give him/her back to the LFS.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store