Ich!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
I was doing a health check as I always do and was looking for all my inhabitants. I couldn't find the baby :uhoh: and when I did it was sitting on the bottom of the tank fins clamped. So then I got Jason and we looked at everyone again VERY closely and noticed two white spots on spot ... we have ich!?!

So I tested my tank (which is a 65g in case you don't know) and this is what I came up with:

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ph 7.6

Don't know why my nitrate is 0 though, any thoughts on that??

Anyway my question is; what is my best course of action?

The inhabitants of my tank are 7 goldies, 4 snails and 2 ottos (I found one otto dead yesterday)

Oh and yesterday I seen Dash do this weird thing like he as trying to shake something off of him, but when I looked I didn't see anything there.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Can you get a picture of the effected fish? Any other symptoms? If its ich, salt is the best course of treatment. Your snails can tolerate it, but its always best to remove them if possible for any treatment.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
When was the last time to introduced fish into your tank? Also, pictures would be very helpful. Ich is very small, the size of a grain of salt or even a little smaller. Did you notice anything on your other fish?

Also, how long has your tank been set up and do you have plants? If you tank is cycled properly you should be getting some Nitrate reading. Did you do a water change and forget to treat the water?

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
When was the last time to introduced fish into your tank? Also, pictures would be very helpful. Ich is very small, the size of a grain of salt or even a little smaller. Did you notice anything on your other fish?

Also, how long has your tank been set up and do you have plants? If you tank is cycled properly you should be getting some Nitrate reading. Did you do a water change and forget to treat the water?

the last fish was introduced a couple weeks ago. we have no real plants.
its hard to get pictures of them, but the spots are tiny and on my white fish makes it harder.
the last thing that was put in the tank was a rock that we found in WV in the river, but it has sat in the sun for 2 weeks, then scrubbed with bleach/water and rinsed well in tap water, then put in the tank with a little bit of water conditioner.
then 4 days later our otto died, now our baby is turning dark and clamping his fins, now the white goldie we think as ich.
HELP :cry::cry:

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Since you haven't added anything is several weeks the chances it is ich is reduced. Its still possible that it is ich but usually ich presents itself within a couple days of entering the tank. What is the temperature on your tank, if you keep it cooler its possible the life cycle was slowed down?

Also, I would take the rock out, just to be safe, since all this started since you've introduced the rock. I know you said you put some dechlorinator in the tank with the rock but did you rinse the rock, itself, with a declorinator? It's possible there was still some chlorine on the rock and now in your tank. I would do a water change too.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
Unfortunately, the QT was in storage since we had just moved. but I thought ich was a quick spreading thing? maybe I was wrong? the temps are mid 70's. and I am going to remove the rock, and do a large waterchange too.
I am worried more about the baby, turning dark and really clamping his fins and sitting on the bottom. :( I know i can treat the Sarasa and the others easily....

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I agree the best treatment is salt, its the only treatment I have used to treat ich. If you can move your inverts great but if you can't then don't worry, they will be fine. I just finished treating my quarantine tank for ich with salt and I had 4 snails and they've all survived. Be careful if you do move them. They can't get ich but they can carry infested water in their shells so don't put them in another tank with fish or you risk infesting that tank too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store