A happy medium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigMike

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Denver, Co
Visit site
First, a quick update on the new tank. All the inverts are happy as little clams (hee-hee), and as you can see, the diatoms are all gone. (Ceriths can EAT!)
Two questions.
1. Is there a filter media that anyone would suggest aside from the Rio Nano brand name activated filter cartridges? Not looking for any specific fix to a problem, just looking for suggestions for cheap, easily replaceable, effective filtration. I like to change media often, it's sort of an Adrian Monk obsessive/compulsive thing, and the Rio's I can only find from MarineDepot.com. That's gonna get pricey havin' em shipped all the time.

2. Looking for opinions about the effectiveness of keeping orange/green zoanthids under my current lighting; 2 24W T5 HO flourescent bulbs on a 20G long tank that would be essentially 10 inches away from the zoanthids.

Oh! also, do dwarf feather dusters reproduce readily and without any special care? I found one on my live rock, just out of the blue one day! it was more than a little cool. (couldn't get a pic, he's waaaay too small for my current digital cam)

tank pics 050.jpg tank pics 048.jpg

BigMike

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Denver, Co
Visit site
And a gratuitous pic of Pancho the Emerald Wonder Crab, having a snack...

No fish yet, maybe this weekend, or maybe next...tank started 20th July, and it still feels a bit early. Thoughts on that?

tank pics 046.jpg

-LeG[A]cY-

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
I started with 3 mini feather dusters and then ended up with hundreds. So yes, they reproduce lol

BigMike

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Denver, Co
Visit site
Here she is...

My first SW fish! The LFS had no ocellaris at the time, but I couldn't pass on this incredible looking fish! Thursday comes the Ocellaris. (sorry for the poor pic quality, will work on some better shots.)

tank pics 053.jpg

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Everything looks quite good. As far as media, I would just use a small media bag with some activated carbon. You won't need much, so you'll be able to replace it often to suit your tastes.

Andrew225

A little bit of everything
Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
I'd wait for the ocellairs. Typically, its' about a fish every-two weeks, at most. Don't want to over-do your bioload.

BigMike

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Denver, Co
Visit site
Fair enough, will wait a bit on the Ocellaris.
Does anyone have any brand recommendations for flake food?
Currrently, I'm feeding the firefish frozen mysis shrimp thawed in a small amount of tank water and poured back in. (looks like Christmas in there when it's feeding time cause I leave the powerheads on, but I'm trying not to put too much in there.)

I thought as opposed to shirmp all the time, I might want to mix in a flake food, possibly something that the Ocellaris (when he does get here,) could benefit from as well.

And thanks again for all the help.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The tank looks really nice...

As far as foods, ensure to drain the frozen foods before adding them to the tank as the juice they are in are usually laden with phosphates....I used to use coffee filter papers or a tea strainer to drain them after thoring them out..

Foods wise, i always do a home make up of foods...Blend shrimp, squid, scollops, nori, some vits, bits of krill or silverside, bit of garlic and freeze it in an ice cube tray...you can cut off as much as you need, keeps for ages, and its very cheap to make...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store