Angelfish Fungus Spot

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I think my lone angelfish has some fungus on one of his fins, he has had a white spot for a couple days that is fuzzy looking. I am pretty sure its a result of being attacked by the breeding angels before I moved them.

Is the best course of action clean clean clean water? I have rummynose tetras, peppered cory cats and some plants in the tank with him and at the moment nothing I can use to QT him if I should use meds.

I have some melafix, but not sure how that will affect anything else in the tank. I don't mind having to clean the water daily if I have to do that, anything that helps him heal.

Thanks.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Thats what I had thought, luckily water changes are one of the easiest treatments to administer.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
and one of the best treatments for the fish

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
If it were fungus, you'd want to treat at once before the hyphae attacked the deep tissues and killed the fish. Fortunately, it almost certainly isn't. I find these things come and go; I'd worry if it were more than a couple of days.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Ok, so its been about a week and so far no improvement. Is there anything else I can do? I have been changing about 30% of the water every other day. He swims around fine (although has acted a little off since I took away his 2 friends/enemies), no clamping of fins or anything, but there are now 2 white fuzzy looking spots on his fin (I tried getting a picture, but unless I could somehow pin the fish down and spread his fin out its virtually impossible). The white spots are almost on the lines of his fin, and a white area is spreading around it. The spots do not look like ich, they are larger than ich spots and only on the angel and only in the one area.

I don't have a QT tank available, certainly not one that would be anywhere near big enough for him to go into, and the only meds I have on hand are melafix and some for internal parasites.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
I am not an expert, I did have these problems with fungus on my angels, I started adding salt to the tank.
With extra water changes, it seems to work.(depending what you have in the tank, might be a problem with your plants and corys)

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
If it is not from an injury, look into columnaris
I think it is from an injury though, before I moved my breeding pair out of the tank the 3 of them would fight like crazy. Torn fins, looked like scales missing etc, everything has healed up nicely on all 3 of them, just this one spot remains.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store