My Birthday Finds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
Well after going from MA to CT on a big LFS road trip I was looking for severums, uarus, and geos but couldn't find any. My mom and dad gave me a hundred and fifty bucks to spend on fish. I am kinda disappointed that I didn't find any severums or geos or uarus.(I guess I'll contiune searching tommrow). Well anyway after looking at different LFS I did find a eel that I always wanted. I have bought a 2'' fire eel. I've always wanted these bad boys. I got him for 15 bucks. Anyway I have a few questions regarding this eel(never kept eels): first Q: Who big do these guys grow? Second Q: Can he live with my angels, tinfoilbarbs, silverdollars in a 75?? Thrid Q:Can I get him to stop eating live foods?? The LFS guy told me that they feed him guppies. I don't mind feeding guppies but will do occansily. Thanks for all your help.:dance2:
Alex
BFK:goldfish:

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I believe they get 24" as well. Someone recently posted a thread of a very healthy looking one. Hopefully they or someone with firsthand experience will see this.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Yeah a quick search shows they get over 2 feet in aquariums and over a meter long in the wild. They need sand or soft substrate to burrow in and sharper substrates can injure their body. They are escape artists like most eels, so make sure the cover is secure. It's difficult to get them onto anything but live food, most feed live bloodworms, blackworms, tubifex, brine shrimp, insect larvae, etc.

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
Yeah a quick search shows they get over 2 feet in aquariums and over a meter long in the wild. They need sand or soft substrate to burrow in and sharper substrates can injure their body. They are escape artists like most eels, so make sure the cover is secure. It's difficult to get them onto anything but live food, most feed live bloodworms, blackworms, tubifex, brine shrimp, insect larvae, etc.
Ok thanks for the info. I will try those foods but for now I'll trysome shrimp and guppies. Also he loves hiding in the fake plants and caves.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
It is usually best to do research on the fish before you buy it.:huh:
I agree, but some people never listen no matter how many times you are given good and helpful advice.

Good luck with the eel bfk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store