goldie on the brink of death??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
One of my goldfish has been acting unusual all today. The current isn't strong yet he still can barely swim against it. He keeps gasping at the surface and look funny but I can't pinpoint how. The other goldie in the tank is doing fine so I know its not a lack of oxygen. PLus I have a LOT of surface aggitation and airation. What could be wrong?? He is still eating but seems pretty weak. I just did a 50% water change so the params are perfect.

Respond ASAP PLEASE!!!

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
Oh and by the way. I figured out what part of him looks strange. There is something different about his eyes. They aren't really sunken and they aren't popping out but they aren't normal either. Could this be gill flukes??

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Scully, I'm starting to think there is seriously something wrong in your tanks. It seems as though one or another of your fish is always sick! We need to pinpoint the problem before you lose a fish. Let's start at the beginning.

Params, any new decorations, recent water changes, new fish in the tank?
:iagree:Just because you did a 50% water change does not mean the params are perfect. What are the params of your tank and are you using a liquid test kit or those little strips?

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
Ok the ph is a bit high since I am medicating for parasites. Its 7.5. Ammonia-0
Nitrate-10 nitrite-0. No new decor I did do a recent water change but whatever is happening to one goldie isn't happening to the other. The problem fish is new (had it for a couple weeks). My other goldie tank is doing great. No problems yet. You guys should know my goldfish tanks are temporary and they will soon be moved to an indoor pond.

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
Oh sorry. Strip test kit

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
well i would say get a real test kit from my experinece strip tests are not the best how could they be

thats like gettin dinnner from a blender

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
I think I'll try that. :)

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
So does anyone know what I should do now?

Last edited:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Basically with the test strips you are guessing at params. I would keep doing frequent water changes until you can pinpoint exactly what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings are for the tank...clean water can only help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store