goldfish help please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meggism

AC Members
Jun 22, 2008
So, my sister (against my best wishes) just bought a goldfish and a new tank (if you can call it that). I'm worried that the fish might die soon, because it keeps hovering toward the top of the tank. I can't tell if it's gasping for breath, or not. I don't know anything about goldfish, because I don't have any, so I'm not really sure what to do. Could this goldfish be in trouble? Also, what conditions do they thrive in, and do they need tank mates? Please help!!

meggism

AC Members
Jun 22, 2008
i'm not sure. my sister and my grandma bought it without me (my sister's 9) goldfish are not my area of expertise. :S it's about an inch and a half long. it's fins are very clear and it's belly is almost white.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
you say you don't have goldfish - do you have any fish at all? goldfish have the same needs as any other type of fish, with a few modifications: extra filtration, extra space, and extra oxygen.

without knowing anything more about the goldfish or the conditions it is being kept in, i will just tell you this. in order for the goldfish to live well, it needs a tank of at least 20g to start, a very good filter, a weekly tank & water maintenance routine, clean water (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates under 20-30ppm), and a healthy diet.

meggism

AC Members
Jun 22, 2008
sorry, someone told me to post in this one instead. yes, i do have other fish. i have 3 angelfish.

crashlee916

the crashmeister
Jul 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA
can you post a pic of it??

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
There are generally two types of goldfish, fancy goldfish and the torpedo shaped ones. Fancy goldfish include: black moors, fantails, orandas, ect. Torpedo shaped goldfish include: shubunkins, comets, common goldfish, koi (not really a goldfish...), ect.

Fancy Goldfish pic

Torpedo shaped goldfish

Torpedo shaped goldfish need a lot more room than fancy goldfish. They are much more active and should be kept outdoors or in large indoor aquariums. Torpedo shaped goldfish also require colder water than fancies.

Fancy goldfish do not need as much swimming room as torpedo shaped goldfish due to their odd shape. They should be kept in indoor aquariums and have a minimum of 30 gallons at full size. These goldfish need slightly warmer water than their torpedo shaped counterparts.

meggism

AC Members
Jun 22, 2008
well, i'm sad to say it died tonight. i don't know what the problem was. i moved it to an old aquarium that was bigger than the one my sister got it in. i'm sure it was because the aquarium hadn't been cycled, but she had it in the tiniest tank, so i had to do something! anyone have any ideas what could have killed him in a day?

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
did you use dechlorinator? what was kept in the old tank? did you use old gravel or buy new gravel? it may have been that the fish was already sick, but more likely that it was poisoned by something - it died too fast for much of anything else I can think of. either chlorine in the water or something in the tank you moved him to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store