cichlid's in a pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
In the next few months i am going to "try" and build a large outdoor pond which will be heated and i would like to put cichlids in there i would like to put.

Yellow labs (breeding pair if possible)
peacocks
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "MONKEY BAY"
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI BLUE NEON
AULONOCARA LWANDA YELLOW TOP GERMAN
CYNOTILAPIA AFRA COBWE
MELANOCHROMIS CHIPOKAE
MELANOCHROMIS JOHANNI
PSEUDOTROPHEUS ACEI MSULI POINT
PSEUDOTROPHEUS ELONGATUS "GOLD BAR"
PSEUDOTROPHEUS SOCOLOFI – PINDANI
COBALT BLUE ZEBRA (M. CALLAINOS)
RED ZEBRA (M. ESTHERAE)
Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty Cichlid)

need a clean up crew don't know how mystery snails will go will they get eaten? any other ideas on a clean up crew?

mystery snails
sailfin pleco's

I wont end up getting all of these i just want to know peoples opinion IF i did make a massive pond are all these fish compatible?

at the moment i am thinking of going with a pond around 1000 liters for these guys one side of the pond will be a huge amount of rocks for them to hide and i will have an open area so everyone can see them pond will be around 140cm round 70cm deep
Will probably put in a nice thick sandy bottom maybe with some driftwood and some java fern.

There wont be a lot of flow through this pond my idea is to build this pond above ground then dig another pond in the ground backing up to this so the water can flow out of the cichlid pond into another larger pond where i think i will put baramundi this should hold about 9,000 liters

Any advice would be fantastic

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Inverts and cichlids do not mix. And cichlids don't always take well to plecos either.

I would wait for someone else to advise you on the stocking...it's an interesting idea. Not sure how well it would turn out though.

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Mystery snails seem to get picked on by my rustys. Enough that I preferred to keep the more active of the two in his original 10g home, with my betta.

The other one has learned to stay completely inside his shell for the brief periods he does actually move. The fish tend to poke at him the more he moves around. The more active one actually got punted around the tank like a little football for a while, I felt pretty bad :p

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
Inverts and cichlids do not mix. And cichlids don't always take well to plecos either.

I would wait for someone else to advise you on the stocking...it's an interesting idea. Not sure how well it would turn out though.
i had a pleco in with my peacocks he was bigger than them so i never saw them bothering him and he was hiding in a little cave all the time and would just come out at night anyway......

i think the pond idea should work i will put a see through plastic cover over the top to stop birds and will mount a nice big light on it as its under a lot of trees so it wont get a lot of light which should be good to stop algae growth but i still think i will need something to keep the algae down i think if i maybe get some bigger pleco's i MAY be right

Po.Verse

AC Members
Jul 19, 2008
Pleckos and Cichlids do not mix when they get bigger. I had a 10" cichlid, and i got a 9" plecko and tried it out, didt work, same with snails. Cichlids are very territorial

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
keeping the pond at the right temperature will be the easy thing as its in shade it will stay around the right temp all the time and i am putting 2 BIG heaters in it for our cold winter.....

i am more worried about how to keep the algae level down as the pond will get a little sun during the day.....

i was hopeing to put in something like a pleco that would help keep it down but it seems like it might be a lost cause

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
The peacocks are really tame as far as cichlids go, and tend to disperse whatever aggression they have in territorial displays between males. Even the mbuna, who are considerably more aggressive aren't gonna be able to put much of a dent in any plec of good size. The fact that you are planning on stocking these fish in a pond that will hold roughly 265 gallons of water should further reduce the need to worry about cichlid on pleco aggression. Sailfins are also well noted for their ability to tolerate the much harder/more basic water that the africans require. I don't think you'll have much of a problem considering the sizes you are dealing with. Just start with a relatively big plec and young cichlids. Mystery snails however, are unfortunately much more likely to be harassed. This sounds like a really interesting project, and I'd love to see how it progresses. Be sure to keep us updated!

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
whats a couple fish that will survive nearly anything and multiply rapidly? i need to breed something for my barramundi to eat :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store