Substrate Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Im planning on a 75 gallon tank. At this point I think I want to go with African Cichlids. However, since this is my 1st tank, I think Ill want to go with a plain old common community tank first, then once Ive gotten my gills wet, Ill move to africans (Ill move the other fish somewhere else).

Heres the question, I know that Africans need a high pH, and a good way to get the ph up is by using crushed coral for a substrate. However, what if I want a dark substrate? Would placing the crushed coral elsewhere (sump) instead of using it as a substrate work just as well in raising the pH?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I doub't you will be able to get enough crushed coral into your filter to raise the ph to where you want/need it. I have 3/4 cup in a 50 and all it does is keep my kh up.

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Well my 75G will have a sump underneath it. The biotower in the sump will have a 12x12x3" tray where I could probably put crushed coral... do you think that could hold enough?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store