Dwarf Angel Behaviour ...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jay.B.

Puffer Lover
Aug 19, 2008
Belper, Derbyshire, UK
I posted this on another forum but had no reply yet... thought I'd try here :)

My GSP (a little under 3 inches) has been raised to marine SG, LR and skimmer installed, all other bio filtration now removed, just running carbon and anti-phos in the canister.

Being used to the way puffers are aggressive with biting what they're being aggressive towards, I wanted to ask about the "aggressive" behaviour of Dwarf Angels.
I recently added a Centropyge flavipectoralis (Yellowfin Dwarf Angelfish), they have been feeding next to each other and happily swimming around each other, but every now and again when Bonzo (GSP) spends a little too much time close to the rock at substrate level, Loki (angel) will swim up to him, spin around and flick him with his tail, I am assuming it's a territorial thing, and to be expected, but is this the extent of the angels aggressiveness, or do I still need to be keeping an extra close eye on them just in case...?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
If that is the extent of the angel's aggression, yo uare in good shape. C. flavipectoralis (nice find, btw--you don't see them very often, despite the fact that they are inexpensive) usually isn't terribly aggressive like some other species. Just keep an eye out, but it sounds as though things should work out well.

Jay.B.

Puffer Lover
Aug 19, 2008
Belper, Derbyshire, UK
Ah... That's great, thank you for the reassurance, you can research until it's coming out of your ears, but it's just one of those things you can't tell until he's in there or spoken to someone with similar experience, cheers, I'll keep posted as they continue to settle in together.

I was surprised to see him, wherever I read about the dwarf angels, this one always came up as rarely or very rarely traded, we tried a new store the other weekend and he was the first fish I saw, apart from the huge stocks of CB seahorses :)

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
I agree, does'nt sound like anything out of the usual territory issues. Hope to see a pic sometime, I have yet to run across the Centropyge flavipectoralis in my area.

Jay.B.

Puffer Lover
Aug 19, 2008
Belper, Derbyshire, UK
cool, thank you.

I'll try and get some pictures when I get back from work this evening, have tried a couple of times, but they never came out very well, he just won't stay still long enough for the autofocus to kick-in in time to take the pic :)

I did re-arrange the rock last night, it was stretched out along the back of the tank, it is now split between either end with a gap in the middle.

Jay.B.

Puffer Lover
Aug 19, 2008
Belper, Derbyshire, UK
cheers, yeah he/she is rather pretty, I was considering a flame angel, but they appear to be the obvious choice, and because of that, suppliers like TMC hike up their prices. so after looking a a dozen or more different angels on the net I was totally undecided, until I got to the marine warehouse and saw they had 2 yellowfin, I wasn't planning on buying anything that day, but just couldn't leave without one of these guys.

here's a little vid of the angel and puffer

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMnKc1K5_1A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMnKc1K5_1A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store