oh great now he has pop eye

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dpenguinfish

Pwnd by a goldfish. GOLDFISH FTW!!!
Jul 24, 2007
orlando FLorida
:eek:mg:now my goldfish with dropsey has pop eye. any treatment becuz i have never delt with desises any time so plese:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I posted this a few times.:)

Dropsy of Aquarium Fish
Synonyms:
Bloat, Malawi Bloat

Symptoms:
Protrusion of scales, distended abdomen, pop-eye

Causes:
Dropsy has several possible causes: poor water quality, poor food quality, bacterial infections, intestinal flagellates, excessive proteins (especially to purely vegetarians)

Longer periods of stress can weaken the fish's immune system thus enabling the bacteria to enter the fish's body. At this stage, it becomes increasingly difficult to remedy the situation. The disease begins with a bacterial infection of the intestines resulting in the excretion of slimy fish wastes. In the course of the disease, parts of the mucous membrane of the intestines come off. They stay at the anus of the fish. Even if the fish keeps taking up the food, it cannot digest the food anymore leading to the malfunctioning of the internal organs. The amount of water the fish takes in then cannot be expelled and the excess liquid gather in the body cavity resulting in the protrusion of scales and eyes.

Excessive proteins can also cause bloat among fish, mbunas most especially as the fish cannot effectively digest the proteins in their stomachs. Herbivorous fish have longer digestive systems that are not designed to digest excessive proteins in comparison to the carnivores' shorter digestive system. Do not feed your herbivorous fish foods that contain too much protein.

Treatment:
Epsom salts, metronidazole, kanamycin sulfate

Treatment may not be effective as the disease itself is internal making it difficult to treat and determine the exact cause.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i would move the fish to a hospital tank, treat with epsom salts to prolong life (not sure of the dosage), and treat with antibiotics in case it is a bacterial infection. maracyn, maracyn 2, or both. read the boxes when you go to the store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store