I am stressed!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Now that my 40 gallon is ready, my neons and albino cories are doing great, I am in a panic about moving my older cories and loaches to the new tank. I don't know why but I am afraid I will hurt them. My local mom and pop fs wants the loaches for their instore tank and I don't know how to move them, they are so big. I guess that I am a big chicken. Oh, I am also in a panic because I am afraid my little cories in my big tank aren't getting enough to eat. I am a neurotic mother, poor fishies.

Bllib

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
How big are they? Just use a bucket to move them. I use a 5 gallon to move 8 inch fish all the time and no problems. Why don't you keep the loaches?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Everyone is telling me they get too big, They are clownies.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Fish arn't as fragile as most people believe, they'll be fine when you move them.
And yes clowns will get to big they'll need a 180g+ for life so you are doing the right thing rehomeing them.

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
Loaches and cories have barbels that can catch on nets and be damaged. The cories also have spikey things on their fins. Catch them using a jar or plastic container.

When you move them, just make sure that all your basics are in. Make sure the water in your new tank is dechlorinated, the temperature is correct and acclimitize your fish.

It is good that you found someone to take your clown loaches. So often pet stores sell them without telling the buyer that they will be needing to purchase a 200 gallon tank to house them up the line. Or worse still, "fish only grow to the size of the tank", which is really a reccomendation to keep them in such a cramped space that their growth is stunted. Very irresponsible!

I'm sure your move will go fine.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sorry that you need to give them up, but it is best. Lower the water level as much as possible and remove the decor. Use small container as Carla suggested to trap them/ This will minimize any damage to them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store