Local Petco Fish & other LFS VS buying online

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
I have 'mom & pop' LFS and a Petco to get fish from. I've found that the only fish I can successfully keep alive in my several tanks are the Petco fish, however my local Petco will not special order fish.

All the other fish I've bought from the mom & pop stores, are usually dead within 4 weeks of getting them home. I doubt my acclimating technique is the cause, however I would suspect it's the stores or just stress from shipping.

I've yet to order any fish online, but I'm hoping (and maybe just being ignorant) that buying fish online will cut out a significant amount of rough traveling, being acclimated however the LFS does it and being crammed in small bright tanks with absolutely no cover.

It's more or less the shipping costs that is keeping me from giving it a try. I have a 55gal tank that I would like to have 12 corydora roaming the bottom of the tank, but I recently picked up 6 emerald cory's from a mom & pop store and only 2 remain after a week. All other fish in the tank are absolutely fine.

Has anyone found survival rate/health is better when buying online?

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
wow bronze/emerald cories are usally very very hardy. How do you acclimate your new fish? Do you qt? what are your water param. and whats in the tank?

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
Your local petco wont special order, I'd talk to a manager mine said they didnt either until I did. Only thing they required me to prepay but that was ok with me.

Amante_di_Betta

Anubias Harlet
May 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Gary
They can only order whats there distributor carries. (I work for PetCo) But yea, I agree talk with the store manager, or ask for a higher person..All PetCo's should be able to special order you things..as far as prepaying, thats weird..ours asks you to come and get them that day. Which I also think is not right, because stress from shipping, and bad shipment kill lots of fish. I wait a week after the fish come in before I buy any.

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Well, I have stocked my entire tank for the past year all from liveaquaria.com (where yes, shipping is annoyingly expensive) and I can say that I have never had a disease in my tank (ich or anything else) and the only fish I have lost over the past year were a couple of rummynose tetras, which are pretty sensitive fish especially in my hard, alkaline water. So to me, it was definitely worth it, as I have friends that buy from the local Mom & Pop store and every time they buy a fish it's like a 50/50 chance it will survive more than a few days, and if it's not QT'd there's pretty much a guarantee they'll get ich in their tank. Of course, if I had an awesome LFS near me, I'd go there rather than spend the shipping, but I'm not so lucky. I would also recommend aquabid (just look at the seller feedback carefully) and of course the classifieds here on AC.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store