Feeding of Gold Head Comps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
The three new Gold Head Comps in my Tangan. tank were shipped as very immature "adults" (~0.5-0.75 inches in length). Thus far, they are eating red bloodworms but completely ignore the tiny, slow sinking cichlid pellets I'm giving them (Aqueon) for a more balanced diet. This is only day 4 since being added to the tank. Any alternate suggestions for a product they might go for? Flakes are probably out as they spend the entire time at the bottom of the tank near their caves and only eat the food that is directly in their vicinity.

Last edited:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I'd find out (if possible) what their diet was before you got them. Comp's are specialized predators, their fave food is fry. You could also try krill or frozen brine and/or mysis shrimp. However, it's most likely they've been raised on flakes or pellets of some sort, and just aren't accustomed to your brand.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
if there that small they may still be on live brine i would try live foods and if not the frozen type works well i wouldnt feed them pellets yet at that size, good luck my two comps are very slow growers..

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
if there that small they may still be on live brine i would try live foods and if not the frozen type works well i wouldnt feed them pellets yet at that size, good luck my two comps are very slow growers..
Thanks as always for the feedback pitt! Yeah, could be as they seem to like the worms a lot but simply let the pellets float by. I'll try frozen brine tomorrow a.m. as I have some on hand.

I've heard they are slow growers, but we have time. They make up for the gold gouramis and reticulated laoches in my other tank (SE Asian) that put on about an inch each after 2-3 months.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
yeah mine are still small after a few months now still sorta juvies also i recieved from a friend who gave me 3 black calvus at the same time and the calvus have grown twice the size of the comps funny aye well good luck with those buddy..

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
They'll probably be pretty fussy for awhile. Try to use a variety of foods, frozen and commercial dry foods, to keep them from becoming too fussy. I would recommend Mysis shrimp over Brine, a bit healthier. I feed flakes twice a day to my Tangs, and a mix of frozen blood worms and mysis shrimp once daily. They eat the flakes, though not with the same enthusiasm as the frozen foods. Keep trying, eventually one will try the commercial food, and the rest should get the picture when they see one eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store