White fuzzy blobs populating tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
Hi guys, I need some help. I have a 10 gal fw tank housing 5 female bettas. Params are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate. Temp is 78 degrees. I'm running a sponge filter and a lousy toy internal box filter with poor quality carbon. (I put this in because I am at a loss for what to do).

I do a 50% and a 20% water change every week. I gravel vac every week.

I went on vacation for 5 days and left my fiance in charge of feeding. When I returned from vacation, I noticed some weird white patch in the center of the tank on top of the gravel. (I did a param test, and it was normal) It appeared like a spiders web. There was some of this spider's web type stuff on a small crypt plant too. I immediately did a gravel vac and a 50% water change. Everything seemed fine.

I woke up this morning and looked in to the tank, and this white stuff is EVERYWHERE. It seems to grow exponentially!

Here's pics:
The tank

Yesterday, before gravel vac:

Today, in the morning:

Check out that gross white gunk everywhere. It even clings to the glass! Those aren't water spots causing that blurry look, that's the white stuff on the glass

This sponge filter used to be black, it is coated in the white stuff.

The val is being engulfed

I explored some past threads where people seemed to have the same problem as I, however there never seemed to be a resolution. Please help guys!

More info that might help: I added those two drift wood pieces last night, maybe they could have caused the white stuff's population to explode. (driftwood had been boiled and soaked in hot water for 5 days) I shook and scrubbed the sponge filter off in a cycled tank full of only hornwort and a sponge filter. The cycled tank has no substrate, and the water was very cloudy and full of the white-stuff particles. This morning that tank is clear and no white stuff to be seen :screwy:. I have no clue what is going on.

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
I feed twice a day and very carefully. The girls are pretty aggresive eaters, so I make sure each fish eats their share. There's never any food that reaches the bottom of the tank....and the only thing I pick up with the gravel vacs are decayed plant pieces and poop.

As I've been wanting to get the girls a larger tank (20 gallon long) I'm thinking about tearing the tank down and pitching the gravel....in the mean time, however, I'd like to clear this white stuff up! It seems like a few people have posted similar problems...so maybe some one can post how they destroyed this white stuff?

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
just my opinion but i doubt it will hurt your fish normal water changes and gravel vacs clean your filters it will clear up

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
Update: I did a 75% water change/gravel vac/scrub down. I added an HOB to get more water movement.

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
Hi Ashley

I think the white stuff may be coming from your driftwood. I have had a similar experience with recently boiled driftwood growing something wierd, and I have read of others having similar experiences.

My theory is that the boiling destroys the woods enzymes, which keep these things in check, and then they go crazy for awhile. They do tend to clear up on their own and not harm fish - touch wood.

My suggestion; Put the driftwood in a pail or empty tank of tank temperature water for a couple of weeks till it settles down, then back in your tank. Your betta tank should be OK, considering the other tank with the white stuff cleared overnight.

Now :topic: I noticed that you have some Corkscrew or contortionist Val growing in that tank. You didn't mention CO2 so I assume this is a low tech tank as far as plants go. How do you find the Val grows for you under these circumstances? I am on the lookout for plants that will grow without spending a fortune on their environment, and I really like the look of this one.

PsyKick

AC Members
Aug 14, 2008
Arcata Ca
I have two thoughts.

The first is that it might just be a bacterial bloom from the wood. My 20 gallon did the same thing, went away in about a week. Although I gravel vac'ed it up at least once every other day.

The second is that it might be a slime mold. The spider web part of your description sounds like stories I have heard about slime molds check out this site: http://waynesword.palomar.edu/slime1.htm and scroll down to the pictures of it in aquariums.

Either way, I believe that with some diligent vacuuming and water changes it should go away in time, and shouldnt harm your fish!

Good luck!

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
She had the problem before the wood was added. Lets hope that the updates on what ash has now done will do the trick :) fingers crossed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store